The Old Nintendo Megathread

zero

3 minutes ago, Apsham said:

Ah okay so when you pick someone up you play their intro.. I like that as an alternative.

As do I! I did Tressa's path, then went north and did someone elses'. I think I'm just gonna keep moving north and west until I get everyone. 

I started the demo with the character that seemed the most interesting to me at a glance and it was the Hunter so I'm sure you know about the 'what the hell is this' that I ran into with that. :P

I decided to just stop and play when the full game came out, I have it on pre-order and I suppose I'll grab it tomorrow. A lot of my Switch stuff right now doesn't scream "portability" for me, but this does.

10 minutes ago, Apsham said:

I started the demo with the character that seemed the most interesting to me at a glance and it was the Hunter so I'm sure you know about the 'what the hell is this' that I ran into with that. :P

I decided to just stop and play when the full game came out, I have it on pre-order and I suppose I'll grab it tomorrow. A lot of my Switch stuff right now doesn't scream "portability" for me, but this does.

Yup. I also started with the hunter. Backed right out of that. I like Tressa! Someone even made a reddit post why she should be your main character: 

9 hours ago, Ruki said:

Join team Tressa!

I did! I am adoring the battle system so far - didn't make it terribly far but I love how fast and snappy the battles are and the general freedom they've given me with the character skills and how I can choose to build them out.

• Like 1

I played the demo last weekend and started with Ophilia, though if I had seen Ruki's post I might have gone Tressa. I have to wait until Wednesday when I get back to the States to play it, though, it was cheaper to buy physical than digital.

The side quests seem like they will actually be challenging. Little puzzles you have to figure out how to solve. Interesting!

Just about to pick up my 4th party member (H'aanit). Really liking the game.

Tressa really WAS the best choice for a starting character - and it solves the issue I saw a lot of people complain about with regards to whether or whether not there was an overarching story that connects everyone (and I don't care to know if there is really) because her story actually CREATES one so it's best to have her early as possible. The journey she sets out on and being joined by the others just makes total sense to create a narrative that puts them all together.

MyNintendo is offering character specific versions of the case cover that you can print out - by the way.

I am actually kind of at a crossroads with Octopath Traveler right now.

it seems that the amount of enemies you fight scales with the number of party members you have, which makes sense of course. But I'm having an issue with the combat system now that I am in bigger encounters. 

Everything seems to take forever. Even when I know the weaknesses of the enemies I am fighting, usually my team is set up where only one or two people are effective against those enemies. What this means is that battles are usually dragged out way longer than they should be mostly in at times where I'm trying to go from point A to point B.

If there was some kind of speed up option that I could turn on when I was in a battle, that would be lovely but that doesn't exist in this game and it feels like I just get nowhere.

There are other things too, while I am loving the unique abilities and the creative ways that they are used, there are little details missing that just make me raise an eyebrow every now and then. I mentioned it before with Tressa's parents, but more and more I keep running into a situation where a character that someone in my party should know just says generic lines.

I still really want to love the game, because I do love the art style and the concept. And I'm interested in the job switching and other things of that nature, but if I have to keep going for the battle system like this I'm wondering how much I'm going to want to stick with the game.