General Gaming Thread

TKz

To be fair, the campaign isn't really the point of COD. I don't like it that much, but give the multiplayer a try before you pack it in.

What annoys me about CoD is that it's not about single player, but all the achievements are always purely single player, at least during the years I played it.

Is it Heroclix?

Though a Heroclix-style superhero tactics game would be awesome.

There is, i think its free 2 play. http://hco.heroclix.com/

Dident even know the marvel game is live already.

Cheers Mat. I've missed playing Heroclix since the game store that had an official weekly tournaments group moved and the tournament group didn't go with.

And just when I started to actually win a few games too.

I meant this: https://www.dcuniverseonline.com/register and this: https://marvelheroes.com/playfree

The DC Universe one is the I've played, and it's tons of fun.

Marvel Heroes is a total let down. It's a diablo style game that uses Marvel characters and settings, which sounds fun in theory, but the fact it's free to play completely destroys anything fun you could get from it. It'd be so good if it was a £40 title and you could unlock all the characters and skins and stuff from drops and so on, maybe with DLC levels and lots of cool stuff to collect.

But no. You pay SIXTY POUNDS for FOUR CHARACTERS. The free to play model basically limits the game down to it's absolute bare minimum and takes out potentially fun unlockables and says instead of enjoying yourself trying to get them, you can just pay us £60. Imagine the Lego Marvel game, but instead of all the silly missions you can do to unlock obscure characters, you just paid £60.

I miss X-Men Legends and Marvel Ultimate Alliance. :( Those games were wonderful and I bet they'd sell like fucking crazy in a post-MCU world.

So for some reason I picked up all three Modern Warfare games because I don't even know why. I've always hated the idea of them but everyone tells me how good they are, so hey, I picked them up.

Now I've started playing MW1 and I just, I dunno, I can't get into it at all. There seems to be nothing in the way of actual plot or characterization beyond 'THIS MAN IS MOUSTACHE! THIS MAN IS RUSSIA! THIS MAN IS ARAB HITLER!' and I can't actually see it going anywhere. The game somehow manages to simultaneously feel like everyone is shooting at you from every direction and yet nothing is actually happening. So far it's not even been a little bit fun.

My questions is does it get better? Is it worth sticking with and I'm just missing something so far? Am I able to skip ahead to MW2 without missing anything and is it worth doing?

No one gives a shit about the single player in CoD, Ollie! :( The majority of people that buy the games never even touch the single player. Case in point, I've picked up each game since Modern Warfare 2 and I think the only one I ever played was Black Ops'... and that was because I had no internet for multiplayer. But on the other side of things, all of the old CoD games multiplayer servers are basically dead or filled with hackers, so you'd really have to pick up one of the newer ones to get what the fuss is about... but even then, the latest game, Ghosts, is the worst addition to the franchise in a long, long time.

Picking up Black Ops 2 at some point might be worth it, I think most people play that now instead of Ghosts.

A guy I follow on YouTube started going into the MW servers again, and said that it seemed that all the hackers had been patched out or something of the sort - and there was a rather decent community there as well. People will stick to the game they like the best it seems, but they'll be unstoppable Gods with those guns and maps. That's why I prefer to move up with each iteration.

You can still find most of the back catalogue of CoD games in the top 10, if not top 5, of Xbox Live's most played list. I think only since Minecraft's release has the monopoly on the rankings been truly broken, it used to be like MW2, W@W and CoD4 as the top 3 for aaaaaages. And I'd say people gave a shit about 4's single player but yeah, after that, maybe not so much. I guess it just depends how much you want to play Michael Bay Movie #234: The FPS.

I actually seem to recall hearing that the MW2 servers on PS3 at one point were a nightmare, like it was actually a point that it was infinitely worse than other formats. I guess that might have been around the time when the PS3 was going through that whole 'firmware getting blown wide open' thing and people were able to more freely hack things up.

As for the multiplayer cheevs, I think it was just the Infinity Ward, pre losing all their top brass, that frowned upon them. Ever since they went through the change they've started towing the company line. I can see what they were going for, in theory it makes everyone a bit more focused on just playing, rather than dicking about trying to engineer a certain situation or derailing lobbies by boosting things, thus making things a lot less frustrating for the average joe. Of course, you can argue that there's just as much distraction in trolls or people experimenting with different loadouts and sucking due to the unfamiliarity.

Yeah, that's the other thing to consider really. It's a big part of why I usually pick up the new ones on release, because after about... a week? Two weeks? People have pretty much memorized the maps and if you can't keep up, you'll have a hard time getting much killing done. It's why that first week is so much fun too, no one has the slightest clue where to go or what to do, so you get the chance to discover all these awesome spots on the maps and actually enjoy them, before people figure out the exact counter to where you're hanging around.

This was going to be the year I jumped to Battlefield instead for a change, but Ghosts ended up being £30 on PC on launch... man, I've made some poor choices in my life. I'm not sure how much matches up to that one, though. What a waste of money. It's a shame, too, because you kind of need to jump on Battlefield at the start. Leave it a month or two and you get kicked from most servers because you didn't buy the latest map pack.

I want to pick up Battlefield, but there's other things I'm more interested in considering the £40-£50 price point. I figured it would be about £30, as most PC versions have been, but they've pumped the price up now that the next gen is here... and, you know, EA.

Oh - for me as well. But multiplayer achievements are by design dependent on other people and as time goes on, you are less and less likely to actually ever be able to get those achievements.

You get the same thing basically with pins/medals and stuff you do to unlock in-game stuff for your weapons, as well.

Plus, most multiplayer cheevs are just short hand for 'Please, please don't abandon our servers like every other generic FPS on the market. After all, you wouldn't want to miss out on that achivement for playing 10,000 matches...would you?!'

Eh, I've never been much of an online gamer. I like things like GTA or RDR online but that's only because I enjoy playing with actual people that I know. I'm single player 4 lyfe 5 eva. For some reason the campaign modes in COD always looked kinda fun, oh how wrong I was.

• Like 1

So for some reason I picked up all three Modern Warfare games because I don't even know why. I've always hated the idea of them but everyone tells me how good they are, so hey, I picked them up.

Now I've started playing MW1 and I just, I dunno, I can't get into it at all. There seems to be nothing in the way of actual plot or characterization beyond 'THIS MAN IS MOUSTACHE! THIS MAN IS RUSSIA! THIS MAN IS ARAB HITLER!' and I can't actually see it going anywhere. The game somehow manages to simultaneously feel like everyone is shooting at you from every direction and yet nothing is actually happening. So far it's not even been a little bit fun.

My questions is does it get better? Is it worth sticking with and I'm just missing something so far? Am I able to skip ahead to MW2 without missing anything and is it worth doing?

Call of Duty is toss. "lol you play CoD for multi not single player, stupid" is not a decent defense, if they put a single player mode in, it should be judged on it.

The only campaign I have ever played in the COD series was World at War and that was because you could do co-op online campaign. I wish COD still did that, because that was more fun than the actual multiplayer.

I only played W@W campaign because a friend recommended I pick it up for Zombies (which...yawn) and Kiefer Sutherland was in it.

The only campaign I have ever played in the COD series was World at War and that was because you could do co-op online campaign. I wish COD still did that, because that was more fun than the actual multiplayer.

They could really benefit from that massively, it'd make me buy the games again (haven't done since MW3, which I barely played).