Formula One 2017

Lineker

1 minute ago, EddieG said:

I'm gonna go for an outside shot, and say Button to replace him.

As much as I would go crazy for Button in a championship car, I don't see it happening quite honestly.

If I had to throw a few names into a list, it probably be something like this...
Bottas, Verstappen, Wehrlein, Toto himself (in that order)

Toto is the manager of Bottas, so the only deal needed is throwing money or engine-deals at cash-strapped Williams until they budge.
Verstappen is a longer shot, but they've been into him as long as Red Bull have been, and have had a pretty tight relation with Jos Verstappen this past season to warm the waters for a future jump. But it would take a massive amount of cash to get Verstappen out from under Red Bull, who see in him a WDC contender themselves.
Wehrlein is pretty much the choice if they have no other choices, he's been very average against Ocon and Haryanto, and one year of experience in a backmarker isn't something that Mercedes looks for in a guy that needs to bring top 2 positions.

Either way, silly season just got a whole lot sillier.

Hasn't Maldonado been testing for Pirelli on the 2017 tyres? Could be a outside shout if they don't want Wehrlein this soon and can't get a "name" driver. Though, that said, with how much quicker next years cars are going to be, the idea of Crash-donado in a Merc is somewhat terrifying

There's absolutely no way that Mercedes would put Maldonado in the car.

Wehrlein and Bottas do seem like the obvious choices. I think the fact that Mercedes haven't immediately announced  someone does make me think that it's not going to be Wehrlein, as he's the first option surely. Makes me think they're shopping around.

Bottas deserves a chance in a top team and the Ferrari ride seems further away. On that note, Perez - if he is going to replace Kimi as expected - surely wouldn't throw that away by going to Merc? 

Button for a year would open up a whole load of possibilities though going forward. Including Vettel's contract runnin out.

I've seen some rumours float around that Bottas will get the nod, through being Toto's client and Williams needing a boatload of money. With Mercedes possibly doing a pseudo-trade where they give Williams money, engine deals, and Pascal Wehrlein in return for Bottas becoming the new Merc #2 driver going into the future.

It'll give Williams the money and lower operating cost they desperately need and two young talented F1 drivers they can build a future push up the rankings around. Because at this moment in time, Williams F1 is fighting a losing battle, and i'm sure Bottas would love to be in a winning car, even if he's the de-facto #2 behind Lewis.

• Like 1