2018 MLB Thread

The Buscher

Yeah, that stuff happens all the time. Aaron Judge was selected by Oakland in like the 30th round of the 2010 draft. It's funny to think how different and strange things would be if the MLB draft was set up like the NFL or NBA where if you're drafted you can't go (or go back) to college. 

2 hours ago, damsher hatfield said:

That's a fun article with actual research too. 

Also?

The one who got away: Kris Bryant (18th round, 2010). In the same draft, the Blue Jays snagged Noah Syndergaard with the 38th pick -- only to trade him as a minor leaguer.

Oh, Toronto. :lol: 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 2

On 28/05/2018 at 18:01, Meacon said:

I can think of another New York team that could use him. :D 

No joke on nothing, if the Mets' season further unravels in the next month as I fully expect it to, I'd have zero qualms about sending deGrom to the Bronx.  They could offer the best trade package, he deserves the chance to win a ring, and I'd still be able to tune in to YES to watch him work every fifth day.

In a hypothetical scenario where the Mets and Yankees have no qualms about possibly giving the crosstown team the "better end" of the deal, I do wonder what a trade would look like.  As a legitimate ace under control for 2020, the Mets could probably ask for four or five of a team's top prospects and not be overstepping.

I'd presume they'd immediately start by asking for Gleyber, and might even be willing to take back fewer players if Gleyber is in there given that he's already a stud.  But for that same reason I think he's one guy the Yanks would pull off the table.  Andujar, Sheffield, and Frazier I'd think would all need to be in there, along with a couple of others but I don't know the Yanks system well enough.

I can honestly say, with the season that he's having, Gleyber is legit and he won't be leaving any time soon. Cashman would put some package together that he, at least, felt was fair, but there's no way it'd include Torres. The guy's only played a month of ball and already has nine homers and almost thirty runs batted in. On-base is over .375 too. He's a potential sup'ah-sup'ah-sup'ahfly. I mean sup'ahst'ah. 

1 hour ago, Meacon said:

I can honestly say, with the season that he's having, Gleyber is legit and he won't be leaving any time soon. Cashman would put some package together that he, at least, felt was fair, but there's no way it'd include Torres. The guy's only played a month of ball and already has nine homers and almost thirty runs batted in. On-base is over .375 too. He's a potential sup'ah-sup'ah-sup'ahfly. I mean sup'ahst'ah. 

Every time I feel a little sad we traded him I think back to 2016 and :D Well worth it

• Like 2

Welp.  That’s me checking out of the Mets game after 11 innings tied 1-1.  Hansel Robles coming in so he’s likely to give up a moonshot.  But even if he somehow doesn’t, I don’t even care.

This team is just unwatchable.  4 hits in 11 innings.  Everyone swinging for the fences every AB.  Only run scored on a Conforto HR because HRs are literally the only way they can ever score.

I just can’t do it any more.  This season has sucked the life out of me and I’m getting to a point I did with the Knicks and Islanders where I just lost the emotional investment and no longer expect anything.

Two of the four games the O's/Yanks were suppose to play this week were rained out, so two game sweep. Woohoo. 

My sister (O's fan) was suppose to go to the Thursday night game that got rained out. My uncle and cousin (O's fans) went to the game Friday night to see the Yanks win. My mom (Yanks fan) and step-dad (O's fan) went to the game last night to see the Yanks win. And my dad (mega, super over-the-top Yanks fan) was suppose to go to the game today that got rained out. 

On ‎02‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 22:50, Buschoru Suzuki said:

Welp.  That’s me checking out of the Mets game after 11 innings tied 1-1.  Hansel Robles coming in so he’s likely to give up a moonshot.  But even if he somehow doesn’t, I don’t even care.

This team is just unwatchable.  4 hits in 11 innings.  Everyone swinging for the fences every AB.  Only run scored on a Conforto HR because HRs are literally the only way they can ever score.

I just can’t do it any more.  This season has sucked the life out of me and I’m getting to a point I did with the Knicks and Islanders where I just lost the emotional investment and no longer expect anything.

Staying true to my word, I have not watched one pitch in the three games since turning Saturday's game off in the 11th.  They have scored two runs in 42 innings since then, including scoring just one run against the Orioles.  When they invariably get swept by the Yankees this weekend, they will be eight games under .500 after starting the season ten games over .500.

If (and it's a gigantic if), David Wright manages to play in a game this year, I will tune in to watch that out of respect.  But otherwise I don't see myself watching another game this season.

On 25/05/2018 at 20:08, Buschoru Suzuki said:

As the draft is coming up, a reminder that Luke Heimlich molested his six year old niece.  Any team that actually drafts him deserves nonstop scorn and criticism, and I hope their fans drop them en masse. 

He went undrafted.

• Like 5

Chris Davis is on pace to have the worst season of all time.  Literally.  FanGraphs and Baseball Reference have him at -1.7 WAR and -1.8 WAR respectively.  Seeing as it's only early June and not at the halfway point yet, that puts him on pace to surpass the -4.0 WAR seasons by Jim Levey of the 1933 Browns and Jerry Royster of the 1977 Braves.

Davis is still owed $68 million over the next four seasons and $42 million in deferments from 2023-2037.  Toss in that the financial commitment may be a big reason why they don't re-sign Manny Machado and that's looking like the worst contract of all time, too.

2 hours ago, Buschoru Suzuki said:

Chris Davis is on pace to have the worst season of all time.  Literally.  FanGraphs and Baseball Reference have him at -1.7 WAR and -1.8 WAR respectively.  Seeing as it's only early June and not at the halfway point yet, that puts him on pace to surpass the -4.0 WAR seasons by Jim Levey of the 1933 Browns and Jerry Royster of the 1977 Braves.

Davis is still owed $68 million over the next four seasons and $42 million in deferments from 2023-2037.  Toss in that the financial commitment may be a big reason why they don't re-sign Manny Machado and that's looking like the worst contract of all time, too.

Sounds like they need to work out another Bobby Bonilla special and send him on his way.