Euro 2020(1)

Lineker

Better team won. England second half were far too negative and on the whole Italy were better on the night and across the tournament. 

Congrats @Chris2KI know how much this means to you. 

I'm not really upset over this or disheartened but I feel really bad on the team. They're a great group of lads and are role models and done a lot of good especially during the pandemic such as Rashford with the food for kids and Henderson leading the drive with the donations for the NHS and all the others in the squad. Southgate too has shown what a leader is especially during a time where we have seen a lot of shite from so called leaders

I just hope fans behave after this. I already know in social care we are going to feel it come Tuesday/Wednesday as rates do go up after games like this. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I still stand by my feeling that England would have won this tournament easily if they’d had a more forward-thinking coach. 

Don’t get me wrong, Southgate has done well but this England squad is bursting at the seams with offensive talent and the majority of them barely get on the pitch. 

1 minute ago, FLiam said:

Did Sterling and Grealish not have the balls to take a penalty or something? I’m genuinely baffled that Saka took one before them. 

Doubt it. Probably the same reason Saka plays ahead of Grealish. 

Won’t lie, pleased with that result.

Do wonder if it might be time to reconsider the ABBA penalty order though. 

Quick analysis from someone neutral in this:

- First and most important... the best team of the tournament won. Italy was by far the most consistent and the team with the most interesting way of playing. Hats off to Mancini who I never rated very highly, but he took a side with very few big names, that missed the last big nations competition, and took them to this victory.

- England had a obviously good tournament. It was their first final in over 50 years, so you give that to them. Yet, Southgate reminds me way too much of Fernando Santos in the way he works his strategy. Both have an incredible talent pool, and both are way too defensive. I read some people talk about Italy shithousing they way to victory, but it was England that almost did exactly that after scoring a goal in the second minute and then playing 11 players behind the ball line for most of the next hour or so. Even after Italy drew, I felt Southgate did very little to win this until the last 15 minutes of extra time.

- Again, I'll have to talk badly of Southgate but saving two subs for penalties is such an awful move. You are pretty much not giving your team some much needed fresh faces (Sterling was dying in there) and it doesn't pay off many times. Moreover, who the hell thinks giving the 5th penalty to 19 year old Saka? Poor kid, he didn't deserve that much pressure on his shoulders.

- Donnarumma was incredible through the whole tournament and deserves the best player of the tournament award. It's a shame he is going to PSG of all teams. Honourable mention to Chiellini an Bonucci, I love those two, such a good back two, and I'm happy that they were able to make history here.

- Final words for the tournament itself. This was a very fun Euro, but I hope we never get another tournament with this hosting format. All the travelling was a mess, and it gave too much of an advantage for a handful of teams, especially England.

7 minutes ago, Baddar said:

Saka's insta has been hit by a load of monkey emojis already apparently. People are the fucking worst.

Racism is going to be off the charts. Which is a damning indictment of society and a section of football fans 

Apparently that was Saka's first senior penalty as a player. Baffling decision that. 

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, FLiam said:

You can’t “not lose” your way to winning a tournament. Southgate has to change or England need to appoint someone else if they are to capitalise on the strength of this squad. Simple as that. 

Portugal did that 5 years ago, but that is leaving too much down to luck. It backfires more commonly than not. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Dang117 said:

Saka volunteered apparently which makes it even more sad

That's honestly bizarre to me. The manager should be dictating who takes. What is this, Sunday League?

I've also just realised Italy have done the double. Euro2020 and Eurovision. Sit down Europe.

Southgate just told the BBC that he picked the penalty takers based on what he’d seen in training. Which, yeah fair enough. But for someone like Saka, just seeing what he’s done in training doesn’t come close to the pressure of the real thing, surely?

1 minute ago, The Kraig said:

I've also just realised Italy have done the double. Euro2020 and Eurovision. Sit down Europe.

Just like Portugal in 2016. :D 

Edit: Nope, Salvador won Eurovision in 2017. I stand corrected.

Edited by GoN_

3 minutes ago, Cymbols said:

Southgate just told the BBC that he picked the penalty takers based on what he’d seen in training. Which, yeah fair enough. But for someone like Saka, just seeing what he’s done in training doesn’t come close to the pressure of the real thing, surely?

To be fair, if he discussed it with the team and they were happy with the plan, I agree with this. Just a shame and no one to blame.

3 minutes ago, GoN_ said:

Just like Portugal in 2016. :D 

Edit: Nope, Salvador won Eurovision in 2017. I stand corrected.

El Salvador were in Eurovision!?

I don't think enough has been done by the relevant authorities to condemn the bad behaviour by fans over the last few weeks, which makes me really concerned about the aftermath of this match. Emotions may run high, but it's football. It's not worth getting violent and nasty over.

• Like 8

I didn't really care who won one way or the other. I found the behaviour of the English fans unpleasant and I found the behaviour of the Italian players unpleasant.

Still, I felt really sorry for Bukayo Saka. He's only a wee boy and the pressure must have been immense, and whenever I saw him in interviews or whatever I found him extremely endearing. Real shame it had to end like that.

• Like 2

Just wrote a three paragraph post but it disappeared. Basically should have made a sub prior to them scoring and Saka should not have been taking last pen, major failings from senior pros and the manager.

Well done to Pickford though, that would have been impressive from a man with standard arms let alone him. So unlucky, you'd have fancied him to score 5th.

Anyway, this soundtracked my walk home so you can have it too.