Euro 2020(1)

Lineker

6 hours ago, GoN_ said:

- Final words for the tournament itself. This was a very fun Euro, but I hope we never get another tournament with this hosting format. All the travelling was a mess, and it gave too much of an advantage for a handful of teams, especially England.

The unofficial reason for this format was that UEFA at the time only had bids from Turkey, Azerbaijan/Georgia and later Wales/Scotland/Ireland. Azerbaijan as host were ruled out after IOC rejected them for the Olympics. Dunno why Turkey wasnt deemed good enough (wait...actually i do)

Up the lads - had the best time watching England over the last month, what an amazing group of young men who are the role models we need in spite of representing a country whose Prime Minister encourages fragile racists to abuse them.

Ready to do it all again & very much ready for Rashford, Sancho and Saka to have a deciding say when we do.

• Like 2

The behaviour of England "fans" this month has actually made me not want us to host a tournament again. Genuinely. I can't take us getting knocked out on penalties at Wembley for a third time either!

Anyway, gutted but proud of this team. I felt so, so sad for Southgate last night. I would rather have lost 4-0 than lose it on penalties and with Southgate making some bad decisions.

He and this team are the best England have given us in my lifetime, easily. I'll be ready to see them go again for the next one.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Adam said:

The behaviour of England "fans" this month has actually made me not want us to host a tournament again. Genuinely. I can't take us getting knocked out on penalties at Wembley for a third time either!

I mentioned my reservations about England "fans" before the tournament, pointing out why I'd prefer they didn't win, and was met with a lot of confused reactions. This is the reason why. As much as it'd be fantastic for the guys here to experience their country winning a tournament, these embarrassing twats deserve fuck all. From the ones treating their own country like a shithole in Leicester Square, to the people fighting their way through helpless security to get into Wembley without tickets. Fuck them.

And while I doubt all of the abuse towards the black players is from English people and English people alone, fuck the lot of them too. They'd have been quick to celebrate had Saka tucked away the winning penalty.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Honestly it's a select few of our so called fans that are the problem, which isn't helped as no one focuses on the proper fans or genuinely good people because that's not the images or stories people want.

Southgate and the squad he's built are easily the best England side we've had and the reason that is because they are a team when we had Rooney, Gerrard, Lampard etc there was a divide which Lampard himself actually commented on yesterday saying the players sat with there clubs. These lads will win something and they will deserve it.

Waking up to the stories of racism doesn't surprise me in the lightest as most of our so called fans are idiots 

As in all walks of life the worst humans are often the loudest humans.

Its a minority but they represent us regardless. Unfortunately our society is rolling back the years and it’s up to us to say no and to stop it. Call it out, stand up to it, put the racists back in their box.

A good start would be voting in anyone but the racist government we’ve got in place.

• Like 1

Glad that Italy won but absolutely gutted for Saka, that pressure was far too much and he looked absolutely devastated afterwards. Really really hope for his own sake this doesn't crush his confidence.

13 hours ago, The Kraig said:

That's honestly bizarre to me. The manager should be dictating who takes. What is this, Sunday League?

Southgate telling the players the order they're taking the kicks. Looks like Pickford might have been the sixth taker.

• Like 1

Been seeing people talk about how the reason they rooted for Italy was because of "England's violent and racist fans", which is fair except for the fact that when I think "violent and racist fans" Italy is possibly the first team that comes to mind. Obviously the shitty English fans were on full display this tournament and the media was more than happy to show everything they did, but these fans thinking they're making a progressive statement by supporting the Italian fans is hilariously and sadly out-of-touch. 

• Like 4

I’ve had time to sleep and digest this now. But Harry Maguire might have taken the best penalty I’ve ever seen.

40 minutes ago, Gazz said:

Might have been him just giving last rites to the five penalty takers before chatting with the keeper. But Pickford taking the sixth wouldn’t have shocked me.

Maguire destroying the camera was amazing tbf. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, FLiam said:

I’ve had time to sleep and digest this now. But Harry Maguire might have taken the best penalty I’ve ever seen.

To steal and slightly edit a quote from Happy Gilmore: Christian Pulisic accomplished that feat no more than a month ago. 

Also top binned his penalty, in second half extra time, against Mexico in the very prestigious CONCACAF Nations League Final. Much more pressure!

14 hours ago, FLiam said:

You can’t “not lose” your way to winning a tournament. Southgate has to change or England need to appoint someone else if they are to capitalise on the strength of this squad. Simple as that. 

International football over the last half decade disagrees with you massively. It is a defensive game first and the best teams all set up to not be beat.

You're wrong.

54 minutes ago, DFF said:

Maguire destroying the camera was amazing tbf. 

There’s been some corking penalties in this tournament’s shootouts, but this was the best of the best. Doesn’t quite beat Charles Aranguiz a few years back, but it’s close.

I also like to think that’s what Gareth Bale was going for against Turkey 😅

I don’t get the backlash against Southgate. Three goals conceded during the whole tournament and not losing a game in normal time seems like a pretty big success to me. Some of those angry people should chill out a bit.

Compared to WC 2018 where England were not that good and were genuinely lucky to get as far as they did it is a massive step forward.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, MadJack said:

International football over the last half decade disagrees with you massively. It is a defensive game first and the best teams all set up to not be beat.

You're wrong.

There's only really Greece and arguably Portugal (and that was less playing defensively and more being shite for a big chunk of the tournament) who've achieved it though. Playing defensively yes, but it's percentage football by definition and it won't work every time, and it needs to to win a knockout competition. There's a balance to be had, and Southgate hasn't found it yet.

We've now gone out in two major tournaments having gone a goal up early, trying and failing to shut up shop then having to make reactive subs to try to change the game again. If Southgate brings fresh legs on the hour it could (heavy emphasis on could) be a completely different game.

• Like 2