Summer Transfer Window 2020

Lineker

1 hour ago, metalman said:

Joe Hart in the dying minutes of Tottenham's crucial Carabao Cup third round tie v Rochdale:

The sole highlight of Coventry City's end of season defeat against Watford in May 2010 was our goalkeeper, Kieren Westwood, getting so frustrated after conceding a 4th goal that he stormed out of his goal and repeatedly booted an advertising board. We agreed.

4 minutes ago, Gazz said:

I'd be very much treating that as a power play to force Bartomeu to resign

9 minutes ago, Adam said:

Surely it's just the usual power play to try and convince the club to make sweeping changes?

Stranger things have happened in football but Lionel Messi leaving Barcelona in a huff after all this time would shock me.

Both of these and likely contract shenanigans.

As absurd as it is to move on from Messi, it makes the most sense it ever will for both parties right now. 

It's a shame they couldn't have kept hold of Neymar because it'd be very interesting now if they had.

3 minutes ago, TCO said:

As absurd as it is to move on from Messi, it makes the most sense it ever will for both parties right now. 

It's a shame they couldn't have kept hold of Neymar because it'd be very interesting now if they had.

A lot of the unfounded rumors inevitably lead back to Barcelona making a play to get Neymar back there. It's outlandish because even if PSG accepts a reduced fee the wages are so astronomical that no one would want to pay them. And I see no reason why PSG, who consistently win every domestic trophy and challenge in Europe every year would want to move on from Neymar in the middle of his prime.

9 minutes ago, metalman said:

what

Probably not the best wording. They've made the knockouts every year since 2012 which I'd look at as being competitive in Europe on a consistent basis. It's just that they've also consistently had comical collapses once they get to the knockouts that stands out. But the groups are a formality for the club. Only a few others (Real, Barcelona, Juventus, Bayern, and City off the top of my head) have been that consistent throughout the past decade.

• Admin

Arsenal have agreed a deal with Lille for Gabriel Magalhães worth around £22m but still face competition from Napoli to sign the Brazilian defender.

The 22-year-old has been linked with several clubs in recent weeks, having initially look set to agree a move to Everton earlier in the year. But while Manchester United have also been credited with an interest, it is understood that Arsenal’s offer of €24m has been accepted by the French club and Gabriel must now decide whether to move to the Emirates.

The situation is complicated Napoli’s interest in the Brazil Under-20 international, with the Italian club believed to have earmarked Gabriel as a direct replacement for Kalidou Koulibaly should the Senegal international leave. Koulibaly is available for around £75m, with Manchester City believed to be among the clubs who have expressed an interest in the 29-year-old.

Gabriel played in 24 of Lille’s 28 matches in a curtailed 2019-20 Ligue 1 campaign and could follow Nicolas Pépé in moving to the Emirates.

“He is one of the players that we allowed to exit the club this summer, he asked for it and wants to try something else,” said Lille president Gerard Lopez at the weekend.

“We clearly told him what our expectations were, we spoke to a number of clubs, our expectations were met by a number of clubs and we have given him the time to decide.”

Lille have already signed Gent’s Jonathan David as a replacement for Victor Osimhen, who moved to Napoli last month for an initial €60m.

United seemingly have a strong interest in David Brooks.

He was mentioned a month or two ago before the Sancho reports kept coming, then it died down. I'd happily take Brooks if we get Sancho as well, but if it's instead of him, that would be disappointing.