MLB 2020/2021 Off-Season Thread

The Buscher

1 hour ago, JMarushin said:

lmao who put LaTroy Hawkins on the ballot

LaTroy Hawkins because he played for so long.

Schilling, Wagner, Bonds, Clemens, Manny, Sheffield, and Vizquel all should get in for one reason or another. I hate Schilling the person but given the standards of guys like Jack Morris getting in you have to put him in. Helton is a tough guy because his numbers are deceptively not as good as they look on the surface. But since Walker has now been inducted I think it's entirely possible Helton gets the same "we don't care about benefits of playing in Denver" treatment by some voters.

It's going to be a couple lean years of not sure things on the ballots which hopefully lets Bonds and Clemens at least go in. Both are locks even if you take away everything they did post-PEDs. Manny did test positive but I just don't think the arbitrary nature of it. Especially since at some point it'll come out Bagwell or Biggio was definitely juicing.

9 hours ago, B-li Manning said:

125271138_3773369272707863_6779298629379

My vote would be:  Bonds, Clemens, Helton, Jones, Kent, Rolen, Schilling, Sheffield, Vizquel, Wagner

No Manny because he got caught in the era of PED testing.  No Sosa because he's getting like 13% of the vote through 8 years and is a lost cause.

Ultimately I think Schilling is the only lock (got 70% last year).  A Schilling-only induction ceremony would have been a nightmare but now if they can get fans into Cooperstown by next summer it'll be a joint induction with the class of 2020 and he'd be drowned out by Jeter support.

No Manny because he got caught, yet you'd vote in Bonds, who is questionable, and Clemens who was more or less caught but continued to deny it?

Clemens was my favorite pitcher.....until he was busted.

My vote would be: Helton, Jones, Schilling, Vizquel, Wagner. Kent and Rolen can wait until next year, and Sheffield is a bubble player for me. I have no problem either way if he gets in or not.

Schilling will probably get in this time, and deserves it despite being a garbage human. Then again, if being garbage as a human kept people out, there are a lot of players who wouldn't be in. Most notably Ty Cobb, who once went after a one-armed man in the stands.

Oh, its deifnitely not. He was the most hated player of his era, and for good reason. 

That incident with the fan is what eventually led to the players forning a union. Because his teammates protested Cobb being suspended for it, since the league wasn't doing anything to protect players from abusive fans, and that was the last straw. The fan in question had hecked Cobb the entire game, and set him off with a racial slur. 

He also assaulted an elevator operator, slashing him with a pen knife, and tried to claim self-defense. The `self-defense' was that Cobb was losing the fight. The fight started because the elevator operator was following orders and refused to take him to a floor other than the one Cobb's room was on.