MLB 2020/2021 Off-Season Thread

The Buscher

I don't know if Cleveland will go wth Spiders, as the team had the worst record ever in baseball, 20-134, their last season under that name. Granted, that was 1899, and the schedule was shorter back then.....

But, if you look it up, the Spiders were set up to fail. Their owner bought another team in St. Louis - a conflict of interest that wouldn't be allowed to happen any more - and sent all the team's star players, including Cy Young - to that other team because they thought St. Louis would draw more fans, and switched the team to a road game heavy schedule (only 42 home games!). I'd argue that the 40-120 1962 Mets were worse than the Spiders just because the Spiders were gutted by their crooked ownership. The Mets just flat out stunk.

They should only go with Cleveland Rocks if they get Drew Carey to throw the first pitch and Ian Hunter to show up during the Seventh Inning Stretch at their first Opening Day game. 

Cleveland Rocks would work because the (joke of a) Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is there, but I can see why some don't like it. 

I've seen some smartasses suggest Steamers, but if anything, that's what they should have renamed the Browns a long time ago......

Wound up missing this last week but Omar Vizquel has been accused of domestic abuse by his wife, who is filing for divorce. MLB says they're investigating. He's on this year's HOF ballot, IIRC.

Nats acquire Josh Bell from the Pirates for RHPs Wil Crowe and Eddy Yean.  Crowe is the Nats' #3 prospect, but he's already 26.

Aside from a ridiculous .333/.398/.685 stretch of the first 2 months of 2019, Bell has been a roughly league average hitter with borderline unplayable 1B defense. Unless they think they can get him back to that 1/3 of a season from last year, this is a trade for a replacement-level player.

• Like 1