MLB 2020/2021 Off-Season Thread

The Buscher

Mets still said to be "loosely" in on Springer, which I take as meaning they've made their final take it or leave it offer and will not negotiate any further.  The Lindor trade made it a great offseason by default, so I can't be mad if they don't get Springer...but holy shit the lineup would be really tasty if they pulled it off.  If somehow the DH gets approved for a 2021 return it'd be even better as Dom Smith would have a place to play again.

I'll admit it's a bit frustrating hearing Steve Cohen and Sandy Alderson talk about how the luxury tax isn't a dealbreaker but a "significant demarcation" when you know Cohen could blow through it every year and not break a sweat.  I think he brought Sandy in primarily to help curb his spending.  Even though I think coming in and making the other owners look like cheapskates would be a boss move, I can understand why he doesn't want to rock the boat right away.

Besides, I'm not sure I see a path to the Mets staying under the luxury tax in 2022 if they want to stay competitive.  Lindor's contract will wind up being somewhere around a $30-33M luxury tax hit annually, Conforto/Syndergaard/Stroman are among their free agents, and the albatross that is Cano's contract will be back as well.  I could see Cohen just dumping Cano to send a message, but they'd still have a $24 million luxury tax hit for him in the next two seasons.

4 hours ago, damshow said:

Wow a free agent signing!

Reported as 6 years for $90 million. It was all about getting that AAV down. $15 mill a year for DJ is amazing. He shouldn’t regress too much in six years either, consider he’s a bat-to-ball contact hitter and not power reliant.

On 14/01/2021 at 16:35, damshow said:

No I demand a return to baseball games that lasted 2 hours and finished with a score of 2-1. Less balls in play!

Boston's average length of game time has either tied or led the league the last four years.  Seemingly every game against the Yankees takes 4 hours, and against everyone else it still usually goes well past 3.  Being under 3 on the regular would be great.

Edited by Lowerdeck

Mets GM Jared Porter sent a series of unsolicited lewd texts to a female Cubs reporter in 2016, including a naked photo. There is concrete evidence of it and as such, Porter has admitted it.

I immediately think to how this team was forced to fire Carlos Beltran last year before he managed a single game. This situation is obviously worse with what he did. He's a creep. His hiring was praised universally as he was considered one of the brightest young minds in the game, now he's almost certainly going to be fired barely a month into the job and very likely flushed his whole career down the toilet.

They've done plenty of good this offseason but stuff like this is a reminder that they're still the Mets.