MLB 2020/2021 Off-Season Thread

The Buscher

Not that the Rays have much of a fanbase but I cannot imagine how frustrating it would be to root for them.  Stupidly pull your ace out of the game early, lose the World Series, and now because they can’t afford to keep anyone who might cost any money, time to trade him away.

It’a just a perpetual rebuild for them.  At least the Marlins got to win a title before a couple of their blow ups.

You get what you sign up for with the Rays. Their owners want to be a lot cheaper than they rightfully have to be so this stuff happens all the time with them. They've hired good front office people who turn the roster over quickly, but as a fan it's gotta just be so uninspiring to see an entirely new cast of guys after 2-3 seasons.

It's probably a good reason why they haven't built a fanbase after all this time. I always hear people ask why a team that's consistently good never has more than 25% of their stadium filled on any given day. I'd imagine it has to come down to never keeping anyone around.

They've been a franchise for 20-years. Who is the player they had play for them the longest? Zobrist?

Edit: Zobrist was with them nine years. 3 years he was sent up and down and then those six full seasons of team control before they let him leave as a free agent. 

• Like 3

Meanwhile the Reds are sorta blowing up the team they never actually built to be contenders. Sad state for a lot of the league when teams have minimal interest in winning titles when cycling through bad seasons to revive interest with one or two decent to good ones is profitable enough.

8 hours ago, Meacon Keaton said:

It's probably a good reason why they haven't built a fanbase after all this time. I always hear people ask why a team that's consistently good never has more than 25% of their stadium filled on any given day. I'd imagine it has to come down to never keeping anyone around.

They've been a franchise for 20-years. Who is the player they had play for them the longest? Zobrist?

I remember them trying to blame the fact that the Trop is a dump and out of the way in St Pete.  (Ignoring the fact Pinellas County has almost a million people on its own.)  They want to build a stadium in the Ybor City part of Tampa, but I doubt that will really help much.  If people really cared about the Rays, they would go to games anyway.

5 hours ago, Lowerdeck said:

I remember them trying to blame the fact that the Trop is a dump and out of the way in St Pete.  (Ignoring the fact Pinellas County has almost a million people on its own.)  They want to build a stadium in the Ybor City part of Tampa, but I doubt that will really help much.  If people really cared about the Rays, they would go to games anyway.

The stadium excuse is sorta valid since baseball attendance is so much about being centralized. But not enough of an excuse to justify struggling to sell tickets to a team that's regularly good. If they sucked every year it's fair to say they'd draw a few thousand more per game by being centralized.

Come 2028 though the team will either be playing in downtown Tampa or another city entirely. We'll start to really figure out what's going on over the next 2-3 years.

10 hours ago, Buschie Lee said:

And even after getting Snell the Padres aren’t done, as they’re deep in talks with the Cubs to acquire Yu Darvish.

What a 1-2 punch that would give them.

They’ve also got Paddack and Clevinger, that’s a strong rotation.