General Gaming Thread - 2022

RPS

Hopefully someone can update the 22 thread to be the general home. Prefer that idea and was going to post in it about 23. But I didn't want to clog an old thread with a bumped post in the wrong area. Thank you for responding. 

The subscription route would be pretty cool. EA could probably pack a few of their games like NFL-NHL-NBA into a subscription package for all 3. But I'm often wondering if we will just in future have one game that is yearly updated on a subscription idea with the new gameplay and modes to be implemented into the updates each time of yearly releases for each game. Might give them also time to work on the next generation of software in sport games. Having a yearly release think hurts the companies from progress being made. But they make money from it so can see why maybe hesistsnt to change. 

I can imagine that model being used at some point in the future. They could incentivise regular buyers to subscribe with a few extra Ultimate Team cards or something. I could also see them selling "core" versions of the games at a lower price, but with only a few starter leagues and competitions, and all the others being sold separately. Then they'd all be included in the subscription price to further encourage people to sign up.

I don't actually like the idea, but I'm trying to think like an evil corporation would.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Baddar said:

I also just noticed that EA Play Pro is £90 a year and that gives you access to all their latest titles, so is definitely a worthwhile option for the people who play FIFA, Madden and NHL.

Huh. That's a pretty good deal when you think of it considering the price of the base games on their own. Might be worthwhile for anyone who plays all of them from the EA Sport's Catalogue of games. 

There's also their other non sports titles as well. 

I've cheaped out and gone for the £4 month of EA Play on PC to give the new FIFA a 10 hour trial to see if I like it. I've never really enjoyed FIFA offline, but I'm not sure if the internet I'm currently using will hold up for online play, so testing that out before spending the £40+ seems the best choice.

It's also the first "next gen" FIFA on PC too, with last years more of a PS4 version.

• Like 1

I did the same and got the very low price 79p of EA Play. 😂 Just wanted it for the FIFA discount. But now I'm actually liking the idea of their non sport catalogue you just reminded me of. Thank you for that. 

Let me know how you get on with the game and if you are going to pick up full release. Wonder how the new next gen will fare up on PC and with online play. Do give us a review and hope you can enjoy some game time. You had the right idea and plan it seems for this year. Have a nice time again. 🙂

Remember tactics and to relax. Breathe. Slow the pace down if need be while playing and time passes and look for players before they move or where you could move them too. My best advice when dealing with online play. Don't pull defenders out of position either. Always drop back with them and follow back with a 2nd defender. 

• Like 1

Put two hours into it, and I don't hate it. And every online game I played was smooth, too. I even made a guy with icon Rooney and Ronaldinho (presumably loans?) quit after being 3 up on him - with my bronze/silver/one or two gold players. Not bad considering I've not played FIFA in 3 or 4 years at least.

I kind of like the pace of the game online too - but that'll probably change once every opponent you come up against has a crazy squad. 

I do like that you can play online friendlies in UT and not use any of the player contracts, so my loan players like Courtois, Valverde and Grealish can be used as frequently as needed in that mode.

I did see they've tweaked chem now so it's no so tied to specific positions and the people adjacent to them, it's now more linked to the first 11 as a whole. Seems like it allows for a bit more flexibility in the team you can pick and allowing some mixing of leagues etc. Plus the position change allows more options, it looked like that was dependent on the player having other positions listed for them. Like, Sterling could swap between LW/RW but I assume that's not universal to every winger in the game and you have to have some pedigre for doing it IRL.

But yeah, if it's not clubs then I'm not really interested in it anymore. I had a bit of a run  on UT when 22 came to EA Play/Gamepass and that was enough for me, I kinda got the fast food version of the experience by dipping in at the tail end and getting a great team very easily. Sitting through the slog at the start of the game isn't for me and my brain, luckily, has a good habit of being able to reject 'grind' type games after a while (like WWE Supercard).

• Like 1

Was going to play FIFA 23. However Mars Horizons began to call me. Started again as NASA. Lost out on two milestones. But have completed Lunar Launch and touch down. It is now Space Stations and trying to sort out Mars Missions. In 1980s now. So Soviet Space Race was on going and they beat us to a few of the first milestones. I was busy gaining funds, science and PR to complete more high end missions when the payload and vehicle's become expensive to craft and more stuff has to be added to the base. Fun. Four destroyed crafts and failed launches with three crew deaths. Four if you count the one left in space. 😒

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Baddar said:

Put two hours into it, and I don't hate it. And every online game I played was smooth, too. I even made a guy with icon Rooney and Ronaldinho (presumably loans?) quit after being 3 up on him - with my bronze/silver/one or two gold players. Not bad considering I've not played FIFA in 3 or 4 years at least.

I kind of like the pace of the game online too - but that'll probably change once every opponent you come up against has a crazy squad. 

I do like that you can play online friendlies in UT and not use any of the player contracts, so my loan players like Courtois, Valverde and Grealish can be used as frequently as needed in that mode.

The important thing is, and I wait every year with baited breath, what do you think of the GK AI?

Inevitably me with FIFA given I didn't preorder it ...

Also finally got round to completing Yakuza 4

• Haha 1