FIFA World Cup 2022

Lineker

Just now, MadJack said:

And they’re results against teams that actually qualify for tournaments.

So Wales in 2022 with all their old star players unfit, the 6-2 loss against England and a loss against USA.

Or are we comparing European qualification with playing Lebanon and Iraq?

2 minutes ago, Captain Kirk said:

So Wales in 2022 with all their old star players unfit, the 6-2 loss against England and a loss against USA.

Or are we comparing European qualification with playing Lebanon and Iraq?

Win vs Uruguay, draw vs Senegal both in September. Draw vs South Korea in 2021.

Scotlands only result of note against a team that qualified for the world cup since euro 2020 is a win vs Denmark, who they also lost to.

Your national team just isn't that good.

Hope for Australia! Wicked deflection.

10 minutes ago, MadJack said:

Win vs Uruguay, draw vs Senegal both in September. Draw vs South Korea in 2021.

Scotlands only result of note against a team that qualified for the world cup since euro 2020 is a win vs Denmark, who they also lost to.

Your national team just isn't that good.

Hope for Australia! Wicked deflection.

Now you’re using friendlies? Yes I’m well aware South Korea was qualification but like you said they got beat also.

Yes they’re not good, neither are Wales or Iran…

At which point do you think I’m saying Scotland are great?

Would rather Australia went through.

Edited by Captain Kirk

10 minutes ago, Chris2K said:

Underdog team that calls the game soccer scores a goal with ten minutes left against more-established footballing nation to make it 2-1.

I swear I've seen this somewhere before.

Changed my mind. 

Just now, Adam said:

Australia have done really well here, full credit to them for how they've kept this close.

I do think, after watching today's games, that Brazil will get to the Final from this side of the draw. 

Jesus and Telles just got ruled out for the tournament.

This seems like a silly argument regarding Scotland. They have a good team and could beat many of the qualified teams, but you could say that for a massive number of other teams who aren't there. Scotland are another team with no star attacker.

This tournament does show that FIFA rankings are a bit of a joke, and that the quality of global football is elevating to better compete with South America and Europe.

I've been enjoying the game here, Australia have been one of the most surprising teams of the tournament. I remember thinking their move to the AFC was maybe a mistake, but they are always seeking a higher challenge, even when they don't have their own superstar like Messi and are facing him down at the World Cup. They've done themselves proud, much like the US did earlier today. Still not over yet.

Phew. Argentina survived that scare at the end there. Well done both teams...as a soon-to-be Kiwi I have to say I admired their sheer tenacity.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Captain Kirk said:

Jesus and Telles just got ruled out for the tournament.

Jesus and Telles? Not starters in this Brazil team, they'll be fine. Vinicius, Richarlison, Raphinha, Casemiro and Neymar (if he gets fit) will fancy it against this Argentinian defence.

• Like 1

To be honest if England or Netherlands are going to win a World Cup this is the one to do it.

Seems like every national team outside of France(who are very thin in some positions) is at the start or end of a cycle.

Going for Morocco to put out Spain.

9 minutes ago, Adam said:

Jesus and Telles? Not starters in this Brazil team, they'll be fine. Vinicius, Richarlison, Raphinha, Casemiro and Neymar (if he gets fit) will fancy it against this Argentinian defence.

Don’t think we see Neymar again this tournament without injections.

If Richarlison goes down then it’s a problem.

5 hours ago, MadJack said:

Scotland are awful as evidenced by the constant failure to qualify for tournaments and by never getting past the first round of the very very few tournaments you do qualify for.

They would not, in fact, "do alright" against the 5th, 17th, 19th and 20th best teams in the world.

You seem to have very strong feelings about this. Did u get dumped by a Scottish person or something?

Otherwise I don’t see how any rational person could say that a NATIONS LEAGUE DIVISION A team such as Scotland aren’t good.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I really hope France win this match. England getting a run of Senegal and then Poland to make the semi's would be underwhelming as a neutral.

A win over France would silence some of Southgate's critics too, but I get it to be honest. Looking at the 2018 WC group, they lost to Belgium, won the games most people would expect them to and then went out to Croatia before losing to Belgium again in the 3rd/4th playoff. 

Even in the Euro's it was mostly plain sailing. The Germany win was the impressive one for me, but England do go in to most games as rightful favourites nowadays because of their squad.

I definitely woke the girlfriend up with some very non-masculant noises at what I thought was going to be a Polska goal. Can't believe they couldn't finish there, so unlucky. 

And now they're behind. 😥