FIFA World Cup 2022

Lineker

Has it been established if there's been less time wasting/not as many injuries leading to long stoppages in the past week or so, or have they just toned down the added time a bit?

And the one game tipped to go all the way has indeed gone to extra time.

Jermaine Jenas there, saying extra time "should be looked at" as if it's a problem.

Did anyone have a problem with the 2010 or 2014 Finals ending in extra time? Or even 1966? Football tournaments should be decided by football games as far as possible, not lotteries.

7 minutes ago, damhausen said:

Extra time should be looked at in that teams are sometimes all to willing to take it to penalities instead of even trying to win. But it's a vastly superior way to determine matches than any other option.

I don't see any better alternatives, they've tried everything else. Replays are too much, penalties only too little. Golden/Silver goal didn't catch on when they tried it either, and I say that as the supporter of a team who got promoted by Golden Goal once upon a time.

• Like 1

That's a shame for Japan. They were one of the most fun teams to watch at this year's competition.

Credit to Croatia, though. For a nation with under four million people and a team that only started playing international football in 1994, they have a very impressive World Cup record.

• Like 1

I do feel sorry for Japan, but all of those penalties deserved nothing. Even the one that went in was nowhere near a corner and at perfect saving height if the keeper went the right way.

Classy Perisic going to commiserate the Japan players first.