FIFA World Cup 2022

Lineker

1 minute ago, Bobfoc said:

It just shows that the psychology of high-pressure situations is more complicated than just repetitive practice.

I said when it was brought up before the shootout that to me, it just adds to the pressure of it all. Spanish players looked terrified stepping up, all while Hakimi wins it with a panenka like he's fucking about with mates at the park.

8 minutes ago, Baddar said:

Well done to Luis Enrique for making sure his players practiced 1000 penalties each before being selected for the World Cup, I guess.

It certainly didn't give them The Edge in this shootout. Wait...

1 minute ago, Twist said:

Ronaldo dropped. Suspect Portugal might suddenly find themselves playing like a team.

I'm just shocked that it's Ramos coming in to lead the line and not trying to get Leao in the lineup. 

Brilliant for Morocco, I honestly fancied them against Spain and so it proved.

Spain have a terminal problem of philosophy and that has borne out in these games with Morocco, Japan and Germany to an extent. You cannot craft pure control football without the potent attacking edge, hence why the Gegenpress style and its variants have surpassed Tiki-Taka by and large in the global elite game now.

Another stat for xG fans...

Only Qatar have a worse xG than Morroco during the tournament.

1 hour ago, lanky316 said:

I tell you, if Morocco had bothered to shoot when through 1 on 1 they might have won this game.

Which brings me to this point. Felt like they got into good positions a lot but refused the shot, resulting in 0 xG for those moments so it shows it doesn't tell the entire story.