FIFA World Cup 2022

Lineker

I wouldn't count out England against France. I've mentioned it before but the French team has largely won off of superior talent vs superior discipline and structure. It depends a lot on what Southgate deploys I will say, but I think England could take it to penalties and win there.

Portugal feel as if they might likewise be frustrated by Morocco. But I certainly would never put money on that result going Morocco's way.

Croatia have been very solid here, everyone knows their job and they've played it very safe, rightly so considering the attacking threat that Brazil have.

Brazil will either find a breakthrough and win by 2 or 3, or Croatia will hold them into ET and maybe penalties.

1 hour ago, damhausen said:

I wouldn't count out England against France. I've mentioned it before but the French team has largely won off of superior talent vs superior discipline and structure. It depends a lot on what Southgate deploys I will say, but I think England could take it to penalties and win there.

I see it as 60:40 in France's favour. An England win is far from impossible, but I think France are slightly more likely to prevail.

• Like 1

Much as I like the idea of a couple of shocks, teams grinding their way through via the lottery of penalties can make for some pretty drab knockout games. This has been alright though.

Anyone remember the good old days when you got booked for diving?

1 hour ago, Adam said:

Croatia have been very solid here, everyone knows their job and they've played it very safe, rightly so considering the attacking threat that Brazil have.

Brazil will either find a breakthrough and win by 2 or 3, or Croatia will hold them into ET and maybe penalties.

It's the latter then. Let's see if the pattern continues through to a shoot-out or not.

I'm going to throw an Arsene Wenger curve ball. Any team who goes to two consecutive penalty shootouts gets eliminated automatically before the shootout. If that's both teams then Bam Bam Bigelow gets a bye to the final.