FIFA World Cup 2022

Lineker

For Brazilian fans, winning the World Cup is pretty much a minimum requirement. With that in mind, the fact that they've got past the quarter-finals just once since winning the tournament in 2002 is nothing short of disastrous.

That's not to mention that their only semi-final appearance in that period resulted in an absolute thrashing.

I have said for a while now, when it comes to penalties - make them accurate and hit them hard. They are NOT a total lottery.

I know it's easier said than done, but if you concentrate on making sure your penalty hits the corner with good power, it will go in most of the time. Several of those, the goalkeeper had no chance.

I am stunned. I cannot believe Brazil are out. But maybe it's time we all stop seeing Croatia as this little nation who grind it out.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Adam said:

I have said for a while now, when it comes to penalties - make them accurate and hit them hard. They are NOT a total lottery.

I know it's easier said than done, but if you concentrate on making sure your penalty hits the corner with good power, it will go in most of the time. Several of those, the goalkeeper had no chance.

I am stunned. I cannot believe Brazil are out. But maybe it's time we all stop seeing Croatia as this little nation who grind it out.

You're basically asking for the perfect penalty, the general opinion is hit it accurately or hit it hard. I'm pretty sure nobody goes up to the penalty spot and thinks I'm going to place this just to the side of the keeper.

3 minutes ago, Captain Kirk said:

You're basically asking for the perfect penalty, the general opinion is hit it accurately or hit it hard. I'm pretty sure nobody goes up to the penalty spot and thinks I'm going to place this just to the side of the keeper.

I'm asking for a good penalty, not perfect. Some of them actually were perfect though, including Casemiro's.

England did this well against Colombia in the last World Cup too. It's a folly to think penalties come down to luck, as many do.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Adam said:

I'm asking for a good penalty, not perfect. Some of them actually were perfect though, including Casemiro's.

England did this well against Colombia in the last World Cup too. It's a folly to think penalties come down to luck, as many do.

Nobody would miss penalties if it was just down to skill. Blast it even close ones will likely still go in, these half pass penalties they've been doing are embarrassing especially when not in the corner.

8 minutes ago, Adam said:

Taking a penalty doesn't come down wholly to luck. The lottery aspect is in the sense that by comparison to the 120 minutes beforehand the difference in quality between the teams matters much less. You could put a pub team against internationals and they could win a % of times.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Colly said:

Taking a penalty doesn't come down wholly to luck. The lottery aspect is in the sense that by comparison to the 120 minutes beforehand the difference in quality between the teams matters much less. You could put a pub team against internationals and they could win a % of times.

Yeah of course, but a lot of players approach it as "I pick a side, hopefully the goalie picks the other" and as we saw in the previous two shoot-outs in this tournament so far, that can be disastrous.

I've seen it a lot in the EFL too. Strikers taking penalties just cos they're strikers, but they always try to just roll it one side. It isn't fortune, more should approach it as a mentality challenge than seem to in football at the moment.

28 minutes ago, Adam said:

Statistically, your best chance of scoring is to hit it straight down the middle, but players will almost always pick a direction, because if the keeper saves it, you look dumb.