FIFA World Cup 2022

Lineker

Some stories I'm seeing are saying that he hadn't been feeling particularly well but was working extremely hard in spite of that because it was the World Cup. That is a recipe for disaster from a medical standpoint, and something we talked about recently at work with regards to our own health.

But, yes, given the whole shirt fracas, his last article, and the very well-established record of the leadership in Qatar there are very warranted suspicions.

5 hours ago, damhausen said:

Some stories I'm seeing are saying that he hadn't been feeling particularly well but was working extremely hard in spite of that because it was the World Cup. That is a recipe for disaster from a medical standpoint, and something we talked about recently at work with regards to our own health.

But, yes, given the whole shirt fracas, his last article, and the very well-established record of the leadership in Qatar there are very warranted suspicions.

I think its worth being suspicious (to an extent) although the whole story is wide open for conspiracy theories.

Ive already seen one Twitter thread that *started* with an emotional video of Grant Wahl's brother crying and asserting Wahl was healthy before later in the thread acknowledging Wahl had been sick talked about having bronchitis in recent days.

Its a really sad thing to have happened. At "best" its a case of someone who was sick and was working himself too hard and the worst possible thing happened.

Im generally on the side of the simple explanation is the most logical until I'm proven wrong.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Szumi - A Polack said:

This is definitely pretty pathetic shit. Why go celebrate with your team when you can instead immediately taunt the team that lost?

I've only just found out that Dumfries snapped after they did that and went charging after them, earning him a second yellow card and subsequent red after the game.

26 minutes ago, Chris2K said:

I've only just found out that Dumfries snapped after they did that and went charging after them, earning him a second yellow card and subsequent red after the game.

It’s a team of scumbags, them and Uruguay are always the same. Would happily take them getting to the final to lose by a 94th minute goal. 

There's a bit more to this whole thing than Argentina bad and Netherlands good. You don't get to hear what's said between whistles for example. And as we all observed, the match had a referee who very clearly & deliberately escalated instead of calmed situations.

https://www.espn.in/football/argentina-arg/story/4829757/lionel-messi-says-netherlands-coach-van-gaal-disrespected-him-before-argentina-world-cup-win

Emotions are a part of sport so I usually let stuff like what happened out there slide. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, METALMAN said:

I didn’t really care at first but I was in a pub full of really anti-social Dutch people throwing beer and shouting and jumping on people so I really just wanted the outcome that would shut them up.

And let me tell you - those Dutch tears were very sweet.

Between your flatmate and this, quite a day of reveling in other's misery for you.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, DropHobo said:

I think its worth being suspicious (to an extent) although the whole story is wide open for conspiracy theories.

Ive already seen one Twitter thread that *started* with an emotional video of Grant Wahl's brother crying and asserting Wahl was healthy before later in the thread acknowledging Wahl had been sick talked about having bronchitis in recent days.

Its a really sad thing to have happened. At "best" its a case of someone who was sick and was working himself too hard and the worst possible thing happened.

Im generally on the side of the simple explanation is the most logical until I'm proven wrong.

The big thing for a lot of people, I think, is that bronchitis doesn't make you drop over dead. Especially when he reported feeling better after starting the antibiotics.

He could've had a rare side effect of the antibiotics putting him into cardiac arrest. It's rare, but that can happen.

A journalist one row away from this happened that the responding EMT waited until after the penalty kicks ended to actually take him out of the stadium, which will again draw a lot of suspicion, coupled with he was taken to the hospital in an Uber, not an ambulance.

Right there with you on being suspicious without just assuming conspiracy, but there's definitely just a lot going on here.

It's really, really hard for me to be invested in soccer today with the dark cloud of Grant's death hanging over the World Cup here in America - especially with the despicable Fox effort highlights what all he's done for the game in America. 

At least right now the underdog is winning. Portugal haven't looked great at all, and the longer it stays 1-0, the more petulance you will see from Bruno Fernandes, which will only hurt Portugal I think.