FIFA World Cup 2022

Lineker

12 minutes ago, Tall Boi Byrne said:

The narrative of Morocco winning is nice, and Portugal can go fuck themselves, but I don't get the pervading message I keep seeing about how good this tournament is? This was another crap game and with Croatia and Morocco's styles of play in the semi-final, we are probably guaranteed at least two more.

I think there's been some good games of football but there have been a lot of dross matches throughout. 

The best thing out of the tournament is teams causing upsets. This isn't a great World Cup imo in terms of quality. 

• Like 1

Just now, DavidMarrio said:

I think there's been some good games of football but there have been a lot of dross matches throughout. 

The best thing out of the tournament is teams causing upsets. This isn't a great World Cup imo in terms of quality. 

That's basically it. Even some of the upsets have been a bit meh. An example - Japan being pretty abject for large spells against Spain, scoring 2 goals in quick succession, then shutting up shop (understandably) didn't exactly make it a good game outside of the upset narrative.

Just now, METALMAN said:

Yeah it’s produced interesting results but the process of getting to them has been quite a drag.

I was trying to work out what the best matches had been yesterday:

Serbia/Switzerland?

Portugal/Ghana? (I'll admit to not seeing this game, so am going on score alone)

Argentina/Netherlands I guess gets in by default due to the drama

Struggling to think of some others - Brazil and Portugal's big wins I guess were good team performances tbf.

5 minutes ago, Colly said:

Honestly think this has been a pretty good World Cup, albeit I fortunately missed most of the 0-0s. Having watched today comparing Morocco to Greece is incredibly harsh.

Maybe it is. It was a long time ago.

EDIT: Just out of interest, I looked back at the Greece/Portugal final. Greece had fewer shots than Morocco did today but were surprisingly close to Portugal on the day in terms of the amount of possession they had. I'd expected similar numbers to what Morocco had today (somewhere in the 20s).

49 minutes ago, Tall Boi Byrne said:

The narrative of Morocco winning is nice, and Portugal can go fuck themselves, but I don't get the pervading message I keep seeing about how good this tournament is? This was another crap game and with Croatia and Morocco's styles of play in the semi-final, we are probably guaranteed at least two more.

This World Cup has been full of so much drama and entertainment, especially the final group matches and Quarterfinals.

I have polled the cells of my body. And there were a few voting irregularities.

Hence the delay.

But finally we reached a tally of 52% to 48%. It’s tight, but a decisive margin.

Do I want France to win twice in a row? No.

Do I want England to win? No.

But tonight I suppose I’ll be supporting England I guess 😫

• Like 2

1 minute ago, METALMAN said:

I have polled the cells of my body. And there were a few voting irregularities.

Hence the delay.

But finally we reached a tally of 52% to 48%. It’s tight, but a decisive margin.

Do I want France to win twice in a row? No.

Do I want England to win? No.

But tonight I suppose I’ll be supporting England I guess 😫

In a few years, enough of your England-supporting cells will probably be dead. We should then have another vote.

• Haha 3