Summer Transfer Window 2022

Lineker

I'm more forgiving of players that left us while still in the youth ranks. Not £120m forgiving, obviously, but at least there's more of a disconnect between who the player was and is now.

I still have no idea why City felt Ake was worthy of their time, and I guess Chelsea will let them pass the buck onto us. "Ooh look he's versatile enough to play in three positions, so will never be deemed a starter in any of them" (point may be moot if our other CB recruitment continues to go as badly as it has so far, because we'll simply have no choice).

10 hours ago, stokeriño said:

I'm more forgiving of players that left us while still in the youth ranks. Not £120m forgiving, obviously, but at least there's more of a disconnect between who the player was and is now.

I still have no idea why City felt Ake was worthy of their time, and I guess Chelsea will let them pass the buck onto us. "Ooh look he's versatile enough to play in three positions, so will never be deemed a starter in any of them" (point may be moot if our other CB recruitment continues to go as badly as it has so far, because we'll simply have no choice).

It feels like it's written in the stars that we'll activate Tammy Abraham's £80m buyback clause next summer. Are you ready for it?

10 hours ago, FLiam said:

Isn’t he pretty much the same sort of player as Malang Sarr? And not really much better?

Ake is technically "PL proven", so I'd personally consider him an upgrade. Not sure if he's good enough on the left to double up as the 1st backup choice, should Alonso and Emerson both leave, but he can't be a worse 3rd/4th choice compared to Saul last season.

5 hours ago, Benjamin said:

Is Azpi confirmed as staying? If not, I can see why they wanted to get another CB, and Kounde seems out of their reach.

Surprised they're not trying to jump on the Lisandro Martinez train.

I think he had an extension clause activated through playing so many games last season. I imagine (hope?) he'll serve as a utility sub this year, especially with the extra subs being available. Not so keen on the idea of him being a starter...

Surely Ake is in the traditional position of not quite making it at a top side which means you then move somewhere midtable to guarantee starts then if you're lucky step up again in your late 20s? Moving to Chelsea just feels like another risk of not starting games. 

This is the way.

19 minutes ago, Colly said:

Surely Ake is in the traditional position of not quite making it at a top side which means you then move somewhere midtable to guarantee starts then if you're lucky step up again in your late 20s? Moving to Chelsea just feels like another risk of not starting games. 

This is the way.

He's already done that trajectory - Ake is 27 now.

He was excellent at Bournemouth and is a solid ball-player. Never going to dominate your defence but he's a pretty sure hand. I doubt he'll solve Chelsea's defensive problems but after watching the way Azpilicueta ended the season, he can't make that unit any worse.

Ake makes all the sense in the world when you consider the fact he's home grown at the club. I still think we should have just had him back from Bournemouth in the first place.

I'd still like two more defenders at least at the moment, and then others can depend on who goes out. Sterling is an upgrade on Ziyech if he's off to Milan, no idea what we'll do striker-wise with Lukaku fucked off, Werner seemingly being used as a possible makeweight in every transfer deal, Broja getting pissed off at not going on the pre-season tour, and the other option being Batshuayi (I assume he's still contracted?).

We're gonna just dump Lukaku for 60m odd next year and buy Abraham back, I can feel it.

Oh he absolutely makes sense for Chelsea, I'm just not wholly convinced it makes sense for Ake if he actually wants to play. I think he's decent enough, but Danny Drinkwater is the definition of a cautionary tale if his recent statements are true.

Suppose it depends on what Ake's mindset is.

Does he feel he has unfinished business at Chelsea, does he think with the depleted numbers he'll be more of a starter now, maybe it's a bit money driven. 

TIL that Batshuayi is still a Chelsea player, and is in the squad for the pre-season USA tour. And so is Bakayoko, whose 2-year loan (yes, apparently 2-year loans are a thing we do) to Milan may be cut short by them because he's too shit.

This is all a sitcom in the making, I feel.

Yeah, it's weird, I thought he was going to be an incredible, he had a really promising first season, but he really didn't adapt to the wing back position like I thought he would. 

Hopefully all four of those senior players have moves in the works because otherwise this surely just lowers their value. Was holding out a little hope that Lo Celso might be able to win Conte back over, but should get decent fees for all 4 that hopefully continue to get reinvested in the squad. Been impressed so far, but would certainly like a one or two more, assuming Spence finally happens. 

Hope Parrott, Gil and Sarr give Conte something to think about in pre season as well. 

Edited by Jimmy
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, stokeriño said:

TIL that Batshuayi is still a Chelsea player, and is in the squad for the pre-season USA tour. And so is Bakayoko, whose 2-year loan (yes, apparently 2-year loans are a thing we do) to Milan may be cut short by them because he's too shit.

This is all a sitcom in the making, I feel.

Can’t wait for the All or Nothing series