Which play/player did you try and replicate?

Liam

When I was 10 or so, I once spent a decent amount of time trying to score a goal like Tony Yeboah did for Leeds against Wimbledon.

For those who haven't seen it (apologies for the shit quality). I didn't do the 'go past a player' bit, I just did the 'bounce a ball on the half volley outside the area and try and score off of the crossbar' bit.

So yeah, did you ever try and replicate a goal, shot, pass, play by someone? Or, did you ever try and model your play on a particular person?

• Like 1

My buddies and I spent probably hundreds of hours doing the "Off the sign, over the street light, nothing but net" game from the McDonald commercials featuring Michael Jordan and Larry Bird.

"Nothing but net" was the 90's version of "Kobe!" You couldn't play anybody without them shouting it during a shot.

• Like 3

Rui Costa once scored an audacious chip which I saw on Football Italia, I tried it at school the next day and it went poorly. I got under the ball, but to the extent it went almost vertical and nowhere near the goal.

I did score a similar one to this Kevin Gallacher volley once, but when I told people it was "better than Kevin Gallacher" they had no idea who I meant.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Meacon Keaton said:

My buddies and I spent probably hundreds of hours doing the "Off the sign, over the street light, nothing but net" game from the McDonald commercials featuring Michael Jordan and Larry Bird.

"Nothing but net" was the 90's version of "Kobe!" You couldn't play anybody without them shouting it during a shot.

100% this. Everyone had a basketball net set up in their driveway at the least. Sometimes in the street and we'd have to stop when a car drove by.

Good times.

The Ken Griffey, Jr. swing was the other oft-imitated sports thing. Though that was less with friends and more when playing on a baseball team.

• Like 2

Gerrard minus the falling on his face. The amount of lads around my age who would try and smack a ball and shout Gerrrrrard 

Also Owens goal against Argentina in the 98 world cup. 

Robbie Savage just with the shit hair and all. <_< 

But often than not it was CDMs who I wanted to play as or be like. It was a position I preferred to attacking or defence. So it was usually anything Roy Keane style. Was never good at football. But always found it good fun having a kick about along with the exercise. 

Although managed to emulate this penalty perfectly once myself. :D

• Like 1

My friends older brothers all wanted to be Cantona, especially that iconic celebration from the game vs Sunderland, but he was before most of our time, so everyone wanted to be Beckham or maybe Owen.

I was an angry, fat child, so naturally I was thrown in goal and wanted to be Schmeichel.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Matt said:

I used to do Robbie Keane's celebration when I scored for the under 9s/10s/11s... Unfortunately I never really scored enough to get it down.

I played football from 4 until 19. I scored once when I was about 16. Once in all those years and I was always desperate to do the Shearer arm in the air. When it happened I was so gob smacked I actually scored I just ran over and hugged my dad instead (it was on his birthday!).

Edited by Twist
  • Like 1

On 16/12/2022 at 23:08, Chris2K said:

Rui Costa once scored an audacious chip which I saw on Football Italia, I tried it at school the next day and it went poorly. I got under the ball, but to the extent it went almost vertical and nowhere near the goal.

I did score a similar one to this Kevin Gallacher volley once, but when I told people it was "better than Kevin Gallacher" they had no idea who I meant.

Fun fact, I am visible in that video.