General Movie Thread 2023

Knock at the Cabin was okay I suppose, definitely not the movie I thought it was. I just read that something was changed from the book and (big spoilers ahoy)...

Spoiler

The main difference is when Andrew gets the gun he and Leonard fight over it and Wen is killed. Leonard surrenders but says that it doesn’t count because it was an accident. And Andrew and Eric don’t give in and it’s left more ambiguous as to whether or not the apocalypse is really happening.

To me that would have been a much better film and you would have instead felt like you hoped the apocalypse stuff was true just for the death to mean something.

16 hours ago, Benji said:

Knock at the Cabin was okay I suppose, definitely not the movie I thought it was. I just read that something was changed from the book and (big spoilers ahoy)...

Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

I liked it but I think I wanted more ambiguity as to whether their sacrifice worked or not. 

• 2 weeks later...

Coincidentally, I'm currently wearing a t-shirt with the title character from the movie Munchie on it. That movie also happened to have a scene shot in the same restaurant where the murder of Blake's wife took place.

I decided to treat myself and watched Knock at the Cabin tonight. I love the fact you can watch such recent releases at home now. I really really liked it. Going to spoiler just in case but for anyone who has watched it I was wondering something

Spoiler

How does Andrew believe plagues 1-3 are just a coincidence?!? Like he is just saying that because he doesn't want to believe it right? I mean I get that if I was in that position with my kids I would be trying to rationalize as much as possible but like when he says "Oh you're staging this!" like that's some pretty impressive production values for a School Teacher, a Nurse, a Line Cook and whatever Harry Potter's friends job was :P 

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent is most definitely recommended. Nic Cage and Pedro Pascal are fantastic together. I can't even explain how much I enjoyed that movie. It's just so perfect and delivers on everything it promises and more.

It's on Crave in Canada, which likely means HBO Max in most other parts of the world.

4 hours ago, Gabriel said:

The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent is most definitely recommended. Nic Cage and Pedro Pascal are fantastic together. I can't even explain how much I enjoyed that movie. It's just so perfect and delivers on everything it promises and more.

It's on Crave in Canada, which likely means HBO Max in most other parts of the world.

I wanted to see it when it was in theaters, but it was only shown in a couple of them here, with only a couple of showings a day at each. And I was too busy to go to any of them. The last movie I saw in a theater was THE BATMAN. 

We dropped all our premium channels because we can't justify the expense - we have plenty of streaming channels we watch more, and we couldn't get into HOUSE OF THE DRAGON - so I won't be able to see it on HBO Max. (I'm sure Heidi will want to at least pick up Starz again once the next season of OUTLANDER starts up......)

12 hours ago, Your Mom said:

If I haven't seen Tar or The Fablemans yet which should I watch first? I'm sure I'll get to both but I need to see something good right now

I saw Tar this week and was absolutely blown away. Because of illness I'm a little bit behind on this / last year's releases, but Tar and Aftersun are the best two films I've seen from that crop. 

Tar is heavy going and not the easiest film but I thought it was phenomenal. 

• Like 2

I watched The Matrix Resurrection yesterday. 

It was an amazing experience. I cannot recall a movie wherein the creator actively feels as though they disdain the movie being created. It is both explicit, as in the literal plot of the movie. The first half of the movie is basically the characters shrugging at the scene, almost saying "what are we even doing here?". I have seen people applaud the first half of the movie and think it falls apart in the second half of the movie. I disagree. The second half of the movie is derivative, craven and cloying,  but obviously so.  Bizarre creatures introduced give a wink at the audience as if to say "this is a cute creature you'd see in Star Wars" and you never see them again. The second half of the movie makes absolutely no sense. The action scenes seems purposefully bad. It literally ends with characters speaking a monologue that feels designed to say "fuck off, if you make us do a Matrix 5, it'll be this shit".

Was it a good movie? No. 

• Like 1

I also posted this in one of the WWE threads, but I think this goes here, too. so, uh. i just discovered the existence of this movie, called The Independent. It features John Cena running for president as an independent candidate. Honestly, it doesn't look great. But I might have to watch it on principle, even if just for the lols. It's supposed to be a political thriller, but the moment John Cena's big line came up in the trailer, I knew I couldn't take it seriously Check out this trailer lol

20 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

So will I not be able to watch that then? Isn't Sky like a UK thing?

It's *supposed* to be on Peacock, but I don't see it anywhere. I guess it's also available to rent on all the other streaming platforms like Amazon Prime, etc. but idk if I wanna pay 

2 hours ago, ThrillhouseMAX said:

It's *supposed* to be on Peacock, but I don't see it anywhere. I guess it's also available to rent on all the other streaming platforms like Amazon Prime, etc. but idk if I wanna pay 

I think I feel the same. It's available to rent but I don't know if it's worth it. Maybe it will come to a service I already have

This looks way better then I thought it would.  Seems like it may be a Truman Show sort of thing?  I dunno

• Like 1

On 05/04/2023 at 04:19, Lint said:

This looks way better then I thought it would.  Seems like it may be a Truman Show sort of thing?  I dunno

If the movie doesn't feature some version of Aqua's "Barbie Girl", even if its a cover or just a snippet, then there is no justice.

Gosling is a decent choice for Ken, but to this day I still want to know who the hell thought casting him in LA LA LAND was a great idea.

• 1 month later...

Never played the games but this looks like it could be campy fun