General Movie Thread 2023

I still maintain this is the best thing about MI2, and I can't not think of "this mission just got a hell of lot more impossibler" when watching any stunt scenes across the series.

• Like 1

I love De Palma's Mission Impossible, and I think it gets even better as each new movie comes out. It's just a totally different experience from the other movies in the series. 

2 is the only poor Mission Impossible. 1 is a little 'of its time' but still neat. 3 is a mixed bag, but entertaining. Everything from 4 onwards is pretty great though - particularly 5. 

26 minutes ago, Toe said:

I love De Palma's Mission Impossible, and I think it gets even better as each new movie comes out. It's just a totally different experience from the other movies in the series. 

That's also true for 2 but in a negative way.  It's action scenes feel different, Ethan Hunt never again fights the way he does in that film (while looking kinda ridiculous doing it) and there are birds everywhere. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Maxx said:

That's also true for 2 but in a negative way.  It's action scenes feel different, Ethan Hunt never again fights the way he does in that film (while looking kinda ridiculous doing it) and there are birds everywhere

Well, yes. John Woo. 

• Like 1

I admit to being a bit clueless about this sort of thing but here goes. If I support the striking talent and believe they should get what they are asking for should I not be going to new movies? Or is that hurting their bargaining power if stuff bombs? Not so much a big deal for me now but next weekend on the other hand will make me sad :( 

8 hours ago, Your Mom said:

I admit to being a bit clueless about this sort of thing but here goes. If I support the striking talent and believe they should get what they are asking for should I not be going to new movies? Or is that hurting their bargaining power if stuff bombs? Not so much a big deal for me now but next weekend on the other hand will make me sad :( 

You're fine going to movies, I imagine. It might be worth considering taking a month off something like Netflix or Disney+ and telling them specifically why you're doing it, but I don't think I've seen like a stated demand from the unions for people to start doing that either and obviously these things can be more complicated for people given shared accounts and all that.

• Thanks 1

I Barbenheimer'd yesterday, and so too did apparently a shitload of people. Saw Oppenheimer in IMAX (not 70mm, closest screen is a 90 minute drive) in the morning, plenty of people in pink there. Then saw Barbie in the evening and had a blast throughout. Managed to not feel bloated despite a 2 hour runtime, a testament to Greta Gerwig.

Double features are great. Cillian Murphy is great. Ryan Gosling is great. Michael Cera is a legend.

This may a pedantic distinction that was not intended by whomever wrote that list, but if they actually mean 'Thomas and Friends' as opposed to the recent 'All Engines Go' reboot, them halle-fucking-llujah.

(It would still fail miserably, or just be the same level of meh as most of the prior straight-to-video Thomas movies, but at least it wouldn't be AEG.)

Of course, now that I say this, it will be AEG-type Thomas, and I will continue to pretend it doesn't exist.

4 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

Is there any benefit to doing Barbenheimer? Like people keep telling me to do it and how interesting it is or whatever but I've seen Barbie and really have no interest in Oppenheimer.

It's only worth it if you're interested in both films. I loved doing it but unless you actually want to see both movies, why spend all that time seeing a movie you don't want to see?

I loved Oppenheimer but it's not for everyone - a 3 hour long historical character drama. 

• Thanks 1