General Movie Thread 2023

Some of the sequences on the back end didn’t look amazing at all. I’ll agree that the practical stuff was a nightmare to shoot, but at the same time it’s hard to argue against - and this movie wasn’t really screaming to get made, so it’s easy enough to pass for me. I didn’t real care about Mad Max until Fury Road, and I don’t think it’s something that could be replicated either so I’m happy to just leave it be.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I feel like it's a great time for movies right now. There's so much to see and sort of something for everyone.

Godzilla Minus One, Renaissance, Poor Things, The Holdovers, Dream Scenario, Thanksgiving, The Boy and the Heron, Napoleon, Wish, Hunger Games, The Marvels, Five Nights at Freddy's, Next Goal Wins.

That's not even to mention all the stuff that comes out shortly... Wonka, American Fiction, Anyone But You, All of Us Strangers, The Iron Claw, Aquaman, The Color Purple. 

It's a good time for movies, I think. 

• 2 weeks later...

I watched Zack Synder Presents: Rebel Moon Part One: A Child of Fire: A Zack Snyder Production so you don't have to!  (Seriouslyfortheloveofgoddon'twatchthismovieitwasterrible)

Spoiler

Scenes are lifted almost 1:1 from other, better media franchises.  Its too on the nose to be called an homage.  It really is just Zack Snyder being a hack who thinks he's an auteur.  The premise of the movie is "Mass Effect: Stupid Edition" where the main character, Kora, goes from planet to planet, recruiting people.  Except unlike Mass Effect, you don't learn the background of any of them.  Every recruitment is

"Help me defend my village"

No

"Please?"

Ok sure

Except for one.  The sword lady.  They just go to her, watch her kill a spiderlady, and suddenly she's with them.  They never ask her to help, she never says she will, she's just there now.

They recruit a beastmaster who tames a Griffin...you know, one of these

f1dc2ba4b8ba4db5dce24fb3d5753d65.jpg

They then leave the Griffin behind, and he tames no other beasts during the movie

The weapons made no sense.  They appear to be ballistic weapons, you see them loading clips.  But when they hit something, they seem to explode into slag, except when they don't.  They shot cleanly through a human body and bone, but in one scene they can't shoot through a wooden table.

The movie is just all over a mess.  There is an attempted gang rape in the first 15 minutes, which only purpose is "See how evil and immoral The Empire Imperium is!!" because in Zack Snyders world, its the only way to show something like that.  Seriously, its the entire plot of Suckerpunch

The movie is 2 hours and 14 minutes long, and next year there is an extended Directors Cut, because Zack Snyder just loves giving himself blowjobs

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Lint said:

I watched Zack Synder Presents: Rebel Moon Part One: A Child of Fire: A Zack Snyder Production so you don't have to!  (Seriouslyfortheloveofgoddon'twatchthismovieitwasterrible)

Hide contents

Scenes are lifted almost 1:1 from other, better media franchises.  Its too on the nose to be called an homage.  It really is just Zack Snyder being a hack who thinks he's an auteur.  The premise of the movie is "Mass Effect: Stupid Edition" where the main character, Kora, goes from planet to planet, recruiting people.  Except unlike Mass Effect, you don't learn the background of any of them.  Every recruitment is

"Help me defend my village"

No

"Please?"

Ok sure

Except for one.  The sword lady.  They just go to her, watch her kill a spiderlady, and suddenly she's with them.  They never ask her to help, she never says she will, she's just there now.

They recruit a beastmaster who tames a Griffin...you know, one of these

f1dc2ba4b8ba4db5dce24fb3d5753d65.jpg

They then leave the Griffin behind, and he tames no other beasts during the movie

The weapons made no sense.  They appear to be ballistic weapons, you see them loading clips.  But when they hit something, they seem to explode into slag, except when they don't.  They shot cleanly through a human body and bone, but in one scene they can't shoot through a wooden table.

The movie is just all over a mess.  There is an attempted gang rape in the first 15 minutes, which only purpose is "See how evil and immoral The Empire Imperium is!!" because in Zack Snyders world, its the only way to show something like that.  Seriously, its the entire plot of Suckerpunch

The movie is 2 hours and 14 minutes long, and next year there is an extended Directors Cut, because Zack Snyder just loves giving himself blowjobs

So its just Seven Samurai / Magnificent Seven / Battle Beyond the Stars? Noted. 

9 hours ago, Benjamin said:

There is a droid that gets gifted a crown of sunflowers about 10 minutes into the movie because he is busy telling the most inconsistent story that goes against the opening monologue that Anthony Hopkins gives (the droid is also voiced by him).

And he seems like he's going to be super important to the movie...he then disappears until the last 30 seconds, when he's seen wearing another crown, this time of antlers

• Like 1