General Movie Thread 2023

The recent Mortal Kombat movie is great fun. I found the protagonist to feel a bit out of place, but it still worked. I was pleasantly surprised at how little tongue in cheek it went (though it rightly included some bits) and the fights and gore was perfectly executed. Really in for the sequel.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Benji said:

The recent Mortal Kombat movie is great fun. I found the protagonist to feel a bit out of place, but it still worked. I was pleasantly surprised at how little tongue in cheek it went (though it rightly included some bits) and the fights and gore was perfectly executed. Really in for the sequel.

Karl Urban wants to play Johnny Cage in the sequel, apparently.

Fast X Spoilers:

Spoiler

These bastards really went and ended the movie on a goddamn cliffhanger!

Also The Rock is going to be back for the last one! I can't wait for that!

And Jason Momoa is the best bad guy in that entire franchise by far.

Furthermore they finally allow John Cena to cut loose and be John Cena for a bit after his disappointing performance as the bad guy in the last one.

Edited by Hellraiser

• 2 weeks later...

Jason Momoa was the best thing about that entire movie! If anything, I feel like Vin Diesel's character having no counterpart for his seriousness and stoicism ever since Paul Walker died is a big problem. I had hoped that either Dwayne Johnson or Lucas Black would take Walker's place eventually. But Johnson and Diesel had a very public falling out and Lucas Black has barely been part of the franchise, only making cameos. So for the most part it has been Diesel doing his own thing by himself (or sometimes accompanied by Michelle Rodriguez whose character is almost as stone-faced and dour as Diesel's is) while the rest of the crew usually gets their own subplot and they only ever interact for the big action set pieces.

And Diesel on his own just isn't fun to watch, particularly when his performance is somehow getting more serious and earnest while the movies get more outlandish and over the top with each new instalment. That issue was really noticeable in the last movie in which John Cena was playing the antagonist and they had him act just as serious and dour as Vin Diesel. It was awful. The franchise was in serious need for someone to balance out Diesel and they found just the right person in Momoa. I really hope that the director and the producers tell Diesel to fuck of when he inevitably throws another tantrum and tried to get Momoa fired or get him to tone down his performance..

Edited by Hellraiser

Ok I wasn't especially fond of the first Avatar movie. Effects were mind blowing at the time but I found it neither good nor bad just kinda there otherwise. I remember none of it and have never had the desire to remedy that. Would I get anything out of watching the new one? Is it interesting on it's own merits or is it more averageness with neat looking blue folks in it?

On 03/06/2023 at 21:21, Hellraiser said:

Jason Momoa was the best thing about that entire movie! If anything, I feel like Vin Diesel's character having no counterpart for his seriousness and stoicism ever since Paul Walker died is a big problem. I had hoped that either Dwayne Johnson or Lucas Black would take Walker's place eventually. But Johnson and Diesel had a very public falling out and Lucas Black has barely been part of the franchise, only making cameos. So for the most part it has been Diesel doing his own thing by himself (or sometimes accompanied by Michelle Rodriguez whose character is almost as stone-faced and dour as Diesel's is) while the rest of the crew usually gets their own subplot and they only ever interact for the big action set pieces.

And Diesel on his own just isn't fun to watch, particularly when his performance is somehow getting more serious and earnest while the movies get more outlandish and over the top with each new instalment. That issue was really noticeable in the last movie in which John Cena was playing the antagonist and they had him act just as serious and dour as Vin Diesel. It was awful. The franchise was in serious need for someone to balance out Diesel and they found just the right person in Momoa. I really hope that the director and the producers tell Diesel to fuck of when he inevitably throws another tantrum and tried to get Momoa fired or get him to tone down his performance..

Apparently its also in Diesel's contracts that Dom can't ever lose a fight. That's why Dom is frickin' unbeatable and escapes in situations where he should either get his ass kicked or die. Nothing shows that more than the street fight with Deckard Shaw. Shaw is a martial artist who should have fucked him up quick.

Momoa is great, but in a couple of scenes, he might as well have been playing The Joker. 

On 11/06/2023 at 07:58, Your Mom said:

Ok I wasn't especially fond of the first Avatar movie. Effects were mind blowing at the time but I found it neither good nor bad just kinda there otherwise. I remember none of it and have never had the desire to remedy that. Would I get anything out of watching the new one? Is it interesting on it's own merits or is it more averageness with neat looking blue folks in it?

It's... very long for what it was trying to be.

• Like 1

This might be inverse recency bias too but I didn't even think it looked as good, everything under the sea looked great but anything 'real' looking (boats and such) looked like a video game cutscene. It was alright but we watched it in two sittings and were bored by the end, and I can't believe they're stretching it to even more of the same.

Uncanny valley child Sigourney Weaver was incredibly disturbing too...

Realistically how long can the writers strike continue to go on before it starts having major effects on films? We've seen Marvel shuffle things around due to it - is there a possibility there comes a time when no new Hollywood made movies are in cinemas and they just have to import films from abroad? 

• 2 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...
16 hours ago, livid said:

Went to an early screening of Mission Impossible Dead Reckoning Part 1 and it's amazing. 

I'm excited for it.  Pluto was showing 2 and 3 back to back last night, and it reminded me that 3 is much better than I remember and 2 is bad for many, many reasons.

42 minutes ago, Maxx said:

I'm excited for it.  Pluto was showing 2 and 3 back to back last night, and it reminded me that 3 is much better than I remember and 2 is bad for many, many reasons.

I loved 3! And PSH was by far the best villain in the entire franchise. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, LL! said:

I loved 3! And PSH was by far the best villain in the entire franchise. 

Oh easily, no contest.   I remember liking 3 when it came out, but was drawn into it more than I expected to be when watching it last night.

• Like 1