General Movie Thread 2023

I watched Isle of Dogs with my kids. This was my second time watching. Putting aside the problematic plot elements (why do the dogs speak English? Why is this foreign exchange student the person pushing the resistance forward? Why include the references to Aboriginal dogs being cannibals?) - this has to be one of the most visually stunning movies of all time. My kids LOVED the movie.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Oscar nominations for Banshees of Inisherin and An Cailín Ciúin (The Quiet Girl) make up part of a record 14 nominations for Irish film.

tbh haven't seen any of the nominated films although I did have a film that screened at a festival with An Cailín Ciúin and An Irish Goodbye which was nominated in the live-action shorts category. So I'm claiming a partial win for myself here :shifty:

I did find this article about Martin McDonagh's work to be interesting though:

https://slate.com/culture/2023/01/martin-mcdonagh-irish-banshees-inisherin-blarney.html

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 03/01/2023 at 15:26, FLiam said:

The Banshees of Inisherin was delightful.

Just got done watching this.  Seem to remember the trailer made me think it was slightly more comedic then it wound up being. 

Great movie, fantastic.  Really deserved a lot of the Oscar noms it got, but man, it was bleak

The Estate, on Amazon Prime, was a good watch for us last night after the weekly heaviness of the Last of Us.

Toni Collette, Anna Faris and David Duchovny are all just great in this little movie about a bunch of cousins coming together to try and weasel their ways into their Aunt's fortune. The dying aunt is played excellently by Kathleen Turner.

It's nothing that is going to shake the fabric of film, but it was just a solidly enjoyable movie.

On 10/02/2023 at 11:57, livid said:

Hell yeah let's go! FAMILY

I had never seen any of the Fast movies, so I'm gonna watch all of them before this one comes out.  

Watching the whole Fast series was one of my favorite little peak pandemic watchthroughs. Just the most spectacularly, unrepentantly dumb franchises of all time.

• Like 4

It's going to be very funny when we get to the 11th and allegedly final one of these movies and the final big bad turns out to be that trucker with the shotgun that gave the crew such a hard time in the first one.

• Like 6

9 hours ago, Maxx said:

I’m one film in, excited to see where this dvd player theft ring goes

You're going to be shocked! And also understand that the franchise gets worse with every film after the second one until they get to the fifth one and then they start getting better after every one (okay five is better than six but then the rest get ridiculous.) Better than they could have ever imagined.

Bruce Willis' family has announced that he was diagnosed with frontotemporal dementia. He was already diagnosed with Aphasia last year, but as the illness progressed they were given a more specific diagnosis now.

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-64670521

Edited by Hellraiser
  • Sad 4

So, I just got done rewatching The Hunt For Red October, and I had never questioned it before, but, why was there a saboteur aboard The Red October?

Like, he would have had to have been placed there, with the mission to sabotage the submarine, by the USSR themselves. But, why would they do that on the maiden voyage of the new pride of their fleet, with experimental new technology on board.

Is there an actual reason for him being there?

I might be totally misremembering this, but I think he was placed there by the USSR to frame the USA sinking the sub and trying to start a war? Like I said, could just be making that up, its been forever since I read the book or watched the movie.

That doesn't come up in the film, but I haven't read the book, so maybe it's in there. It's like he was placed there to stop the officers defecting, but they were way out to sea by the time we learn thats what is happening, and for the rest of the crew, they NEVER learn that Ramius was planning to defect and hand the sub over to the Americans. I may have to read the book to get my answer here

Edited by Ace-hole Rimmer