General Movie Thread 2023

17 minutes ago, Mx. Canadian Destroyer said:

a 3 hour long historical character drama. 

i swear these words in combination make me break out in a cold sweat

I know I'll see Barbie but I'll not watch them both.  I'm not really into Christpher Nolan movies. I've seen half of his filmography one way or another and I've never felt the need to re-watch any of them them.

I did see Inception in the cinema with my then girlfriend. She was so annoyed by it she yelled "what the fuck was that!?" at the screen once the credits rolled.

• Like 3

I did both on Tuesday and enjoyed it. I think doing it as a double feature with like an hour and a half of downtime to go to a restaurant and chill out made for a really good day, and I think in both cases I thought the movies were about as good as I expected them to be but had things that held them back from being better than that, and in a way that kind of made it good as a double feature because I didn't come out of it going "oh, I loved this one but hated that one."

I think Oppenheimer basically justifies its length and the sheer amount of shit it's cramming into the story, it's probably the first one of his movies I've wanted to see a second time since... Christ. The Dark Knight or maybe Inception? That being said I can't recommend doing it as a double feature just to say you did it. If you're not into Nolan's stuff I think this is better and more interesting than most of his stuff has been for a long time (maybe the fact that it's a biopic/character study means that it keeps a lot of the stuff that sunk, say, Tenet at bay) but it's still a three-hour Nolan movie.

(Maybe the biggest connective thing that makes them an interesting double feature is that Christopher Nolan is just no good at including female characters that don't feel like they exist to orbit around male characters, so pairing a movie where that's very much the case with a movie primarily set in a world where most of the male characters existing to orbit around the female ones is a big part of the plot is kind of interesting.)

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Your Mom said:

Hollywood is always going to not get it :rolleyes:

It's even worse than I thought! :lol: Just let me enjoy Barbie for what it was before you ruin it

Not Mattel, but a Hungry Hungry Hippos movie has been in the works for ages. Hopefully it never sees the light of day.....or is a horror flick. (Hippos are more responsible for human deaths than any other animal in Africa.)

• Like 1

Oppenheimer certainly felt like 3 hours but there was no point in the movie that didn't feel like it needed to be in there. Unlike, say, the overlong blockbusters being churned out these days.

In the end it was a Nolan film and while he was forcefully restrained with a biopic he still really, really loves using all the toys for large format before asking himself if he should use all the toys. And, as Gogo said, the female characters solely exist to orbit around the men. There is maybe 1 female character in the movie who felt like they had their own, individual thread and weren't in the movie because they came as a package deal with a male character.

I don't think the films really complement each other but people have been pretty creative at drawing lines which is interesting. They did make a fun as hell day because they both lived up to, but didn't exceed, my expectations.

5 hours ago, damhausen said:

In the end it was a Nolan film and while he was forcefully restrained with a biopic he still really, really loves using all the toys for large format before asking himself if he should use all the toys. And, as Gogo said, the female characters solely exist to orbit around the men. There is maybe 1 female character in the movie who felt like they had their own, individual thread and weren't in the movie because they came as a package deal with a male character.

Yeah, basically this. Though to be fair, Emily Blunt's big scene near the end is one of the only times that a character in the movie is unambiguously worth rooting for. I could actually feel the mood really lift in the theater for a little bit during that scene.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, GoGo Yubari said:

Yeah, basically this. Though to be fair, Emily Blunt's big scene near the end is one of the only times that a character in the movie is unambiguously worth rooting for. I could actually feel the mood really lift in the theater for a little bit during that scene.

Well now I want to see it! :lol: 

On 29/07/2023 at 21:02, Hobo said:

I have seen Barbie.

That was tremendous fun.

Just mentioned it in another thread but!! it's great isn't it!! I've already seen it twice and would not object to going again, it was so much fun.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Your Mom said:

Has anyone seen Hypnotic with Ben Affleck? It looks like something I might like but I really really don't want to waste my time watching a bad movie tonight so I'm looking for opinions

I know it's well past when you were looking, but I haven't seen Hypnotic... but I've gotta spread the love for Bodies, Bodies, Bodies.

The Anti-Kanye Pete Davidson is the biggest name in the movie, but it's just a really great time. Don't read anything about it. Don't spoil anything. Just dive in.

The Soska Sisters were raving about it and my partner and I decided to give it a go on the strength of their recommendation, because we adore them. Easily one of the most satisfying films I've seen in a while. It's a little bit of a Whodunnit with a group of friends who realistically all could have done it. Oh, and there's Greg. Greg is awesome. Love Greg.

• Like 1