Premier League 2023/24

Lineker

12 hours ago, Szumi said:

Villa were very hard done by on the VAR call. The keeper is absolutely fouled on the corner, yes, but it has zero impact on the play and ensuing goal.

I mean, it does, because if it's a foul, then it's an immediate free kick. Phases of play are irrelevant.

Unless anyones seen otherwise though the VAR protocols are so woolly that it isn't actually clear that phases of play are irrelevant, and the length of time they will go back to check a goal has always been ambiguous to a fault. I think it is a foul and if the ref sees it he'd have given it, but that goal comes from Baldock fucking up rather than the foul on the keeper, he's a very lucky boy.

5 hours ago, Gazz said:

I mean, it does, because if it's a foul, then it's an immediate free kick. Phases of play are irrelevant.

Phases of play ARE relevant, as it's something that VAR has used on multiple occasions to justify a goal being allowed to stand, because a foul took place too far back and it was a new phase of play. 

Yeah, it's frustrating because after the first 5 minutes of Arsenal just embarrassing us, we were by far the better team. The handball call is hilariously bad, but fluffing a 5 on 1 breakaway is even worse. We should have won, but yet again, failed to take our chances. In a season where City are faltering some and the title is winnable, it's two very, very frustrating results.

Also, I cannot believe how much Saka is allowed to get away with. My goodness.

3 minutes ago, FLiam said:

I’m not entirely sure what Saka did that was wrong?

Van Dijk pressuring the ref to send Saka off was a joke. He went in for a tackle, one the ball and slipped.

A better referee would have sent him off well before the slip foul (I don't think he should have been sent off for that, btw. Clear slip). The dirty shove in the back on Tsimikas at the sideline was 1 of 4 yellow cards he should have had today, on top of getting a lot of fouls called for him that if it was Salah, the ref would never have given. He's definitely very, very protected by the referees in my opinion.

1 hour ago, Szumi said:

A better referee would have sent him off well before the slip foul (I don't think he should have been sent off for that, btw. Clear slip). The dirty shove in the back on Tsimikas at the sideline was 1 of 4 yellow cards he should have had today, on top of getting a lot of fouls called for him that if it was Salah, the ref would never have given. He's definitely very, very protected by the referees in my opinion.

This is hilarious because this, especially the bolded part is exactly what Arsenal fans that watch him regularly say about Saka. Its a very common occurrence that Saka gets booted off the park. I've never once come across anyone else say he's over-protected.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Kaney said:

This is hilarious because this, especially the bolded part is exactly what Arsenal fans that watch him regularly say about Saka. Its a very common occurrence that Saka gets booted off the park. I've never once come across anyone else say he's over-protected.

Guess you didn't watch today then!

• Haha 1

It's pretty much a Premier League meme that Saka gets booted all over the pitch without the opponents getting booked, then he'll go shoulder to shoulder with someone and get booked.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1