Sky Bet EFL 2023/24

Lineker

I don't know what's happening with the EFL charge, the way I heard it summarised the league was like "Show us your plan for getting out of these financial issues we think you're in" and the club was like "lol, no" and that seemed to be it. Obviously interesting development for the likes of us, Ipswich, Southampton and the other surrounding playoff types but I think when the EFL one came up Farke had the attitude of you can't account for things like that so you've just got to keep trying to get promoted on your own terms.

Certainly for this season you'd have to be suspicious of the figures involved when they have people like Vardy still there on silly money whilst likely no one in their team had wage drop clauses like we did, even if they did get big money for Maddison and Barnes.

I try not to criticise referees and take the view that the 22 players on the pitch have far more of an effect on the result of the game than anything a referee does.

But fuck me the referee in this Plymouth Argyle vs Norwich game has to be the worst I've ever fucking seen. Books an Argyle player for diving instead of giving a penalty when Norwich keeper Angus Gunn takes him out. Plymouth Argyle player is down in the Argyle box with a head injury - referee insists he be taken off the pitch to let them play on, Norwich score whilst he's off. Two Norwich players collide and Gunn puts the ball out of play for a throw. Argyle go to take the throw in quickly as they're fine and getting up, referee stops them.

It so frustrating because it's never us who get the benefit of these decisions. And it happens every other game now.

John Percy at the Telegraph - who's usually bang on about this sort of thing - is reporting that we're about to sack Ian Foster after losing to Bristol City at home today. Hopefully it does happen. Neil Warnock in until the end of the season could be a decent shout.

Should've probably happened prior to the international break. Club are going with in-house appointment until the end of the season, will pick a new boss based on what league we're in I suppose. Hopefully this lifts the boys for Friday away at Rotherham.

1 minute ago, Bobfoc said:

Doncaster and Notts seem to have gone in opposite directions. Stuart Maynard hasn't worked out as an appointment, unfortunately.

Aye, when County beat us 3-0 on Boxing Day they were 15 points better off. We're now above them in the table, which is mad really.

Ayling already gone, Dallas retiring, Cooper extremely likely to be released in the summer...we really are approaching the end of an era.

• Admin

Sheffield United will start their next Championship season on minus-two points after an English Football League independent disciplinary commission found they had defaulted on a number of payments to other clubs last season.

A further two-point Championship deduction has been suspended until the end of that season and will be activated if United default on any payment due to another club under a transfer or compensation agreement for more than five business days.

The EFL said the defaults “cumulatively were in excess of 550 days” and that United had agreed to pay the league’s costs of £310,455.

United were promoted from the Championship last season and are on course to be relegated back to the second tier. They are nine points below the safety line with seven Premier League games remaining.

Morecambe have been deducted three points by the English Football League for failing to adhere to an agreed decision imposed in August 2023 after the club failed to pay players on time.

The League Two side were given a suspended three-point deduction at the time and that has now been activated.

The Shrimps slip from 12th to 14th and their slim play-off hopes are now all-but over.

Owner Jason Whittingham has also been fined £10,000.

That amount is payable immediately and Whittingham has also been given a suspended fine of £20,000 to be activated on 31 May 2024, unless he complies in full with his obligation to replenish the deposit account under the terms of the agreed decision dated 17 August 2023.

Whittingham had been told to deposit an amount equal to 125% of their monthly wage bill to cover any future delays in August last year.

The EFL stated that the following month the deposited funds had been used without being re-deposited however, and they were charged in December.

The club said in a statement that "the board express their significant disappointment at the outcome of the hearing".

Can't believe the complete and utter bottle job that is going on at the top of the Championship right now. Well, at least until Ipswich smash Middlesbrough later today no doubt. 

Make that eight wins in a row for Doncaster Rovers. Not only that, but all six of the sides above them lost today...so with three games left Rovers sit in 8th, one point off the Play-Offs and with the team in 6th to play at home next weekend. Incredible.

At the start of February they were in the bottom 3 and looked hopeless. 36 points from 45 games since then, only one defeat and in this 8 match winning run they have only conceded two goals.

Wrexham are officially promoted again as well, going to League One. I would imagine they're not going to be able to get promoted again next season, as I don't think financially they'll be able to spend like they'd need to in order to get promoted. But who knows!