Sky Bet EFL 2023/24

Lineker

On the one hand, you can look at the financial benefits of this, especially in light of our precarious financial position given the ongoing Championship status, depleting parachute payments and transfer debt and see the benefits of what is being touted as the biggest commercial deal in EFL history. Plus you throw in the potential of the shared knowledge of analytics and scouting across the RB system, especially when you look at the talent farm that Salzburg often is.

But it's impossible to look past the elephant in the room of RB's history in sport and their ongoing desire to throw their brand over everything they touch. On the Leeds fanzine podcast Phil Hay is quite adamant that the whole thing is a minority stake only and with no say or possibility of anything like a rebranding. That's without even mentioning the possible backlash from the fans (I think we shouted down the potential new badge under one of the old chairmen within about 6 hours) or the impending regulatory bodies that the government are looking to install. I think it would be niave to think RB doesn't have this in mind for some point in the future and it's going to be a real shit storm if it comes down to that and one that I imagine doesn't end well for the tradition of the club as these things do tend to air towards those with the money to throw around. 

In the meantime I guess we just have to hope that in the short term this helps us get promoted next year and start building a foundation to stay in the Premier long term and cross the RB Leeds bridge if we ever come to it.

Given the global reach of the PL I would not be surprised if they do everything but rename the club. Red Bull Stadium at Elland Road, Red Bull emblazoned on their shirts, secondary kits that even more play up the Red Bull identity, etc. Salzburg was a well known club but frankly one in a smaller league and at a time well before people wised up to what Red Bull was really trying to pull off, MLS is in a country where everyone just is accustomed to omnipresent corporate branding, and Leipzig was largely a club built from the ground up.

Leeds is just different entirely. Add the club to the portfolio, inject it with money to become a top flight mainstay, and enjoy the free marketing in nearly every corner of the globe.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JasonM said:

RB Leeds sounds like it would be the level of shitshow that MK Dons was in terms of fan reaction.

RB Leedzig.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...