The January Transfer Window - 2024

Lineker

12 hours ago, Szumi said:

Is almost €30m for a player that was very clearly not first choice with the manager, and overall seemed like he was maybe surplus to requirements, peanuts? Idk, seems that's one heck of a deal for a guy who while electric and exciting at times, was coming off his worst season at Newcastle and was behind Gordon, Barnes, and Almiron (and maybe more) in the pecking order.

Peanuts is hyperbole of course, but even as someone who wasn't his biggest fan it felt well below value. At that point Barnes had only been at the club for a few days, Gordon had only played a handful of games, and Almiron doesn't play that side (and there definitely weren't more! I wish...). There are certainly more fringe players than him that have become integral to the team, and he played a cup final in that "worst season". More importantly, he was 26, at a time where Chelsea were hoying 30 year olds there it seemed very silly for anyone to be going "Newcastle fixing FFP by selling to Saudi".

11 hours ago, Lineker said:

If you can't get Phillips just sign his haircut. I like that logic.

He looks like someone tried to draw Haaland from memory.

• Haha 5

As well as what @Baddar mentions above (although 20 years ago is more accurate), there was also a 2004 remake of Alfie starring Jude Law.

I did my work experience with a Reception class who were born in 2004/05 and there were four boys called Alfie in a class of 30ish kids. Pretty sure we only had a max of four, maybe five, with a shared name (Oliver) in an entire high school year group that was 8x bigger.

A man from the ONS once told me it's their most read and used statistical publication, which is incredibly annoying when they focus on that instead of the mortality etc stats we actually need...

Anyway, stick Alfie in there and watch it jump up the ranks.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/birthsdeathsandmarriages/livebirths/articles/babynamessince1904howhasyoursperformed/2016-09-02

It was just part of a post 2000 trend towards 'older' names. Alfie, Archie, Arthur, Oliver, Jack, Reggie etc.

The next wave was -ayden names. Hayden, Jayden, Brayden, Kayden.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Gazz said:

It was just part of a post 2000 trend towards 'older' names. Alfie, Archie, Arthur, Oliver, Jack, Reggie etc.

The next wave was -ayden names. Hayden, Jayden, Brayden, Kayden.

Extra points for a double barrelled surname.

When I was a teacher, about 10 years ago, half the boys were called Kyle.

I love a youth player with an interesting name. Ultimate Soccer Manager used to just mash names of players in the database together and you'd get names like Carlton Ravenelli, Perluigi Irwin, Florian Schmeichel or something.

Liverpool currently have youth players called Fidel O'Rourke and Trent Kone-Doherty. Which are pretty great names.

Then there is former Cork City midfielder Shane Daly-Butz.

Marseille want to sign Nuno Tavares on a permanent deal. 

There was no break clause inserted into the loan deal with Forest, and they are at the moment unwilling to terminate his loan deal, despite him hardly featuring. 

This is all leading to us having to pay for our own player to leave again….

Aston Villa are signing winger Rogers from Boro. He only joined from City in the summer.

Wolves are about to land Mario Lemina's younger brother on loan from PSG 

In addition to Wharton, Palace are also signing Daniel Munoz on loan from Genk.

4 hours ago, Lineker said:

Sounds like Adam Wharton is off to Palace. Another Blackburn youngster taking the next step up.

Season over for Blackburn tbh.

1 hour ago, Szumi said:

Aston Villa are signing winger Rogers from Boro. He only joined from City in the summer.

And he's not been all that good tbh. Still, at least they're not after our Morgan! Speaking of, we've told Lazio to bugger off after they submitted a bid for Morgan Whittaker.