General Television Thread 2024

Bobfoc

Because it's Ron Livingston, we gave Loudermilk a go when it hit Netflix in Canada within the last month here.

It's a damn fine show about people dealing with addiction, and Livingston knocks it out of the park. The first two seasons are available, and I would highly recommend it to anyone who likes his body of work.

At this point the season-ending cliffhanger is a really played-out way to try and force the network's hand to give you another season. It didn't work for Twin Peaks 30+ years ago and it hasn't really worked since. Would be much nicer if they just tied up the big storylines and gave their season a satisfying ending with just enough out there to build a future season if they get renewed.

• Like 1

So admittedly there's a lot of acclaimed TV series I haven't watched because most of my free TV time goes to sports, wrestling, or video games.  So when I actually am looking through for a new show to watch it's likely I'm going to pick something that only has a couple of seasons as it feels less daunting than a show that ran for 7 seasons at 1 hour per episode or something like that.  The time commitment scares me off, effectively.

With that said, I spent 2 hours watching the first 4 episodes of The Bear and it's awesome.  I'll breeze through this show in a week.  Loving everything about it so far.

Season 2 of The Traitors was such a triumph and delivered Shakespearean levels of drama. I was personally worried they were going to try and make it bigger and better, but thankfully they didn't lose focus of the fact the game itself is engaging and casting relatively normal people is key. A little too much producer influence towards the end for my liking - it seems like a series that usually peaks in the middle - but that finale was outstanding TV. I I thought it was genuinely better than most TV dramas these days. 

Speaking of, I'm doing something I don't do often and I'm rewatching a couple of shows. Going back through Battlestar Galactica and my all-time favourite Buffy. I've not actually done a full watch through of either since I was 16. With Buffy I've watched a lot of the odd eps with other people, but Battlestar is the first time in a long time. Really enjoying both. 

• Like 1

We binged the first season of “Such Brave Girls” as Hulu recommended it to us (think it’s on BBC in the UK). 

It’s absolutely fantastic. I fully recommend it to anyone wanting to watch a brand-new sitcom - plus it’s only six episodes so fairly easy to get through.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, FLiam said:

We binged the first season of “Such Brave Girls” as Hulu recommended it to us (think it’s on BBC in the UK). 

It’s absolutely fantastic. I fully recommend it to anyone wanting to watch a brand-new sitcom - plus it’s only six episodes so fairly easy to get through.

Thank you for that, it's sat on my list for a while and I was just thinking I needed something of that length.

I just saw BSG mentioned, just want to mention For All Mankind. Same creator, same writing team, same fantastic storytelling. It is absolutely worth a shot for anyone that loved BSG. I will say the first few eps are an average drudge to get into but afterwards you’re in for a great ride.

• Like 2

Mr. and Mrs. Smith is pretty good. Definitely a tonal shift from the movie and likely not what people are expecting. It focuses a lot more on the relationship than the spycraft.