General Television Thread 2024

Bobfoc

Watched The Regime on Max, starring Kate Winslet .

The series depicts a year within the palace of a crumbling authoritarian regime.  After not leaving the palace for quite some time, Chancellor Elena Vernham becomes increasingly paranoid and unstable and turns to a volatile soldier, Herbert Zubak, as an unlikely confidant. As Zubak's influence over the chancellor grows, Elena's attempts to expand her power eventually result in the palace and the country fracturing around her.

It was fun, I liked it.  A solid 7/10.  Good, not great, but I'm looking forward to more

The season finale and reunion episode of The Traitors U.S. season 2 aired tonight. Before I post any spoilers, Alan did announce after the end of the reunion that there will be a season 3. 👍:w00t:

Spoiler

I was absolutely happy that CT and Trishelle won, but I wish they hadn't chosen to vote out MJ. No spoilers for the reunion, except MJ was still bitter about being voted out.

Also, Masked Singer season 11. I know a lot of people here either never watched it or have given up on it, but trust me when I say find the season premiere and watch the last performance by Book. 

And Rita Ora replaced Nicole on the panel. 

22 hours ago, GhostMachine said:

The season finale and reunion episode of The Traitors U.S. season 2 aired tonight. Before I post any spoilers, Alan did announce after the end of the reunion that there will be a season 3. 👍:w00t:

Hide contents

I was absolutely happy that CT and Trishelle won, but I wish they hadn't chosen to vote out MJ. No spoilers for the reunion, except MJ was still bitter about being voted out.

Also, Masked Singer season 11. I know a lot of people here either never watched it or have given up on it, but trust me when I say find the season premiere and watch the last performance by Book. 

And Rita Ora replaced Nicole on the panel. 

Just finished season 2 of Traitors. Thoughts below.

Spoiler

As soon as they voted out Kate, I told my wife that they would vote out MJ. I did not see Trishelle trying to vote out CT, but knew that MJ wouldn't make it.

I haven't watched the Australian version yet, but I'm pretty sure that the Traitors is the best reality show ever. We just finished the first season of the UK version, after watching the first two seasons of the US. Loved every second of it.

• Like 1

My wife and I are halfway through UK Traitors season 2, and while I do enjoy it, I wish there was an opportunity for more evidence-based deduction instead of just wild speculation.

Spoiler

My favourite episode of season two so far has been the funeral procession, where something traitorish ACTUALLY happened, and they were able to do some actual deductions. Usually nothing really happens and the faithful just have to wildly guess based on nothing, and observing the personalities of people they've never met before. 

If there was more opportunity to actually identify traitors I think I would enjoy it a lot more, but I think concept wise I still prefer something like The Mole, even if production wise Traitors is much better.

• Like 1

The Mole was so good, way ahead of its time in many respects, and unfortunately on a UK channel that had a poor reputation and at that point was only available in 75% of the country. The amount of thought that went into the clues, most of which were far too intricate for anyone to actually work out, was amazing. 

My favourite part will always be Glen (aka the Banker) being borderline schizophrenic in the way he spoke to the contestants, alternating between being best mates and brutal army drill sergeant at a moment's notice.

4 hours ago, K said:

My wife and I are halfway through UK Traitors season 2, and while I do enjoy it, I wish there was an opportunity for more evidence-based deduction instead of just wild speculation.

Hide contents

My favourite episode of season two so far has been the funeral procession, where something traitorish ACTUALLY happened, and they were able to do some actual deductions. Usually nothing really happens and the faithful just have to wildly guess based on nothing, and observing the personalities of people they've never met before. 

If there was more opportunity to actually identify traitors I think I would enjoy it a lot more, but I think concept wise I still prefer something like The Mole, even if production wise Traitors is much better.

Spoiler

gefr0r5wmaai8w-e1705593813878.jpeg

1_diann7.jpg

cinéma

Funeral ep spoilers. 

• Like 1

Pete Davidson decided to nix season 2 of Bupkis and end the series.  Said he loved the first season and it's the work he's most proud of, that he was glad to tell his own story after his personal life has been in the media for a decade.  But he considers that chapter closed now and he doesn't feel the need to keep reliving it.

Shame, I really enjoyed the show and the supporting cast was a lot of fun with Edie Falco, Bobby Cannavale, and Joe Pesci all doing great work.

But I get his reasoning.  Between Bupkis and King of Staten Island he's satirized his personal life/origin story quite enough.  Kudos to him if he wants to try something new instead of just going back to the same well.

3 Body Problem is a pretty damn good show (I wasn't aware of the book series until watching). A little hard to get into if you're not well versed in physics concepts but I feel like they do a good job of explaining what's going on. I didn't realize until a few episodes it was from the Game of Thrones showrunners, but it makes sense given the number of British/GoT actors in the series. 

• Like 1

i've probably started about six shows since finishing Slow Horses, and everything I watch I just think... 'man, this is much worse than slow horses'. 

The only thing that's hitting is the new series of Resident Alien which bangs.

1 hour ago, GhostMachine said:

Any of the people from the first season competing again?

Yeah, a guy who I don’t remember. Was a firefighter I believe, his introduction made it look like him going was a surprise.

Theres also someone who said they’re in WWE