General Television Thread 2024

Bobfoc

2 hours ago, Colly said:

We've been watching Percy Jackson on Disney+ with the kids, and while it's fairly middling Edge just turned up as Ares and got to do some acting. He's not bad.

He has done a few movies, including Highlander Endgame, a movie with Jamie Kennedy, and another with Kelsey Grammer. And he was a regular on the show Haven and in over 20 episodes of Vikings.

It was interesting to see who they cast as the gods. Obviously, they'll have to recast Zeus going forward.

• Like 1

Finished up with season 2 of The Bear.  Largely brilliant all around.  "The Review" and "Fishes" were the clear stars of their respective seasons.  Very excited to see season 3.  There's really one character I have real issue with because she feels so out of place compared to everyone else to the point where she almost kills the immersion, and in looking around I'm hardly alone in this critique:

Spoiler

Claire's scenes felt cringe in ways that I'm not sure were intended.  I believe that in some way as their relationship starts to grow the viewer is meant to feel a sense of anxiety knowing how much shit is happening in trying to set up the restaurant all while Carmy is staring into Claire's eyes for what feels like an uncomfortably long time.  You're supposed to anxious that he's "wasting" his time on non-work things which plays into Carmy's own rant at the end.

But the main reason I cringe is because her character is so unbelievably flat.  She tracks down Carmy, puts in all the work of pursuing him, seemingly has no issue dropping anything to be there for him whenever needed.  Despite having an assuredly stressful nursing job she carries zero stress home with her.  Doesn't seem to bother her at all that Carmy is a tortured genius constantly on the verge of outburst.  "Never apologize, you're the Bear"....come on.  How is that healthy?  Even when she hears his confession she doesn't even seem that bothered about it.  Just "I'm sorry you feel that way" and leaves.  Does she have no needs or emotions?

She's basically a fill-in to represent the kind of stable relationship Carmy's never had, but she feels like she's straight out of a rom-com.  Completely out of place with all the very flawed people undergoing significant character development all around her.  Presumably in S3 Carmy will repair the relationship but in doing so I hope they actually give Claire a backbone.

5 hours ago, K said:

Anyone watched Rabbit Hole? IMDB recommended it after I finished Justified PE, but I've never heard of it.

My wife really liked it. I've watched the first four episodes and enjoyed them.

19 minutes ago, Pooker said:

My wife really liked it. I've watched the first four episodes and enjoyed them.

I watched a couple episodes this evening, I'm enjoying it, but it absolutely feels like the kind of show that will end on a massive cliffhanger and then get cancelled.

1 minute ago, K said:

I watched a couple episodes this evening, I'm enjoying it, but it absolutely feels like the kind of show that will end on a massive cliffhanger and then get cancelled.

Haven't watched but it did get cancelled.

3 minutes ago, Fitzy said:

Haven't watched but it did get cancelled.

lmao. yeah, it has big 'cancelled early' energy.

I'll keep going, and get annoyed at the definite cliff hanger ending it will have.

That actually tied up much better than I was expecting. Incredibly minor spoilers about the ending:

Spoiler

Just ignore the last three seconds if you want it all tied up nicely. Actually much better than I was expecting, in terms of wrapping things up.

10 minutes ago, Benji said:

Does everyone's voice sound off in season 35 of The Simpsons or is it my imagination?

I noticed it also, and had to check to see if voice actors had changed. Could just be everyone getting older.

• Like 1

On 10/02/2024 at 20:44, Pooker said:

I didn't want to say anything about it being canceled, but yeah, that's one of the reasons I haven't finished it.

No major spoilers or anything, but no cliffhanger ending, really. 

Besides, the main character was unlikeable, so I felt no vested interest in whether he got out of trouble or not. I probably wouldn't have watched a second season.

I'd rather have gotten another season of Designated Survivor on Netflix than Rabbit Hole.