General Television Thread 2024

Bobfoc

I would be ok with them giving this another shot. Sure the second season sucked. And the third. And the fourth. And Heroes Reborn was bad. But that first season! Maybe they can find that magic again!

• Haha 4

I dunno, as much as there wasn't much superhero stuff as they got past the good episodes there was loads of high-ish concept big-ish budget sci-fi flying around (Flash Forward, The Event, Revolution, Terra Nova, that Kiefer Sutherland one...) post Lost, most of which didn't make it past the first series. The problem with Heroes was that the first series was fairly interesting and compelling, but they obviously had no idea where to take it or even which characters to focus on, so it just got worse and worse. Audiences (certainly me anyway) were probably burnt out on tv where "what happens next" cliffhangers are the main pull but it's obvious they don't have an endgame and odds are it'll be cancelled before they cobble one together anyway.

Just let it die, if Reborn couldn't end it properly what else have they got?

34 minutes ago, Colly said:

I dunno, as much as there wasn't much superhero stuff as they got past the good episodes there was loads of high-ish concept big-ish budget sci-fi flying around (Flash Forward, The Event, Revolution, Terra Nova, that Kiefer Sutherland one...) post Lost, most of which didn't make it past the first series. The problem with Heroes was that the first series was fairly interesting and compelling, but they obviously had no idea where to take it or even which characters to focus on, so it just got worse and worse. Audiences (certainly me anyway) were probably burnt out on tv where "what happens next" cliffhangers are the main pull but it's obvious they don't have an endgame and odds are it'll be cancelled before they cobble one together anyway.

I really wanted to like Revolution, like the idea was good. But I thought they fucked it by jumping too far forward from the off, the breakdown of society is more interesting than the “society is already broken but how did we get here” approach they took. Like I don’t care about the destination when we skipped most of the journey.

Not relevant in any way to your point, I just really like the trailer then was let down by the show, so am having a moan. 

I watched it to the end, past the episode that was just a shit Matrix (though in fairness they sort of confessed to it near the end) all the way to the zombie cliffhanger at the end. Horrible, not a single likeable character.

1 hour ago, Colly said:

They spent the whole of the first series finally getting everyone in the same place for Heroes, just to immediately disband them all, which I remember feeling incredibly unsatisfying at the time. 

I'm still deep in my Buffy and Angel re-watch, which I'm loving so much that it's making me want to re-watch more shows I loved when I was younger. Heroes could definitely end up on that list. I'm ready to get hurt all over again. 

On 14/04/2024 at 12:56, K said:

just rewatched line of duty. still really good.

I've seen the first four seasons, and enjoyed it. Unfortunately, I'd have to subscribe to yet another streaming service to watch the rest.

6 hours ago, K said:

i hate when they split things up like that, so annoying

For some reason, seasons 5 and 6 are BritBox exclusives. But the first four are on at least two other streaming services.

I do not need another streaming service. I already have Netflix, Prime, Paramount+, Peacock, Philo, Hulu+, Disney+, ESPN+, and the CW app on my tv.

True Detective Night Country finale.

Spoiler

Adored it. Entire series was a massive return to form and honestly I massively preferred this to even season one. Loved the ambiguity of the ending but still delivered answers on all the things that mattered. Phenomenal stuff that captured the spirit of season one whilst entirely making it its own thing.

• Like 2