General Television Thread 2024

Bobfoc

On 11/02/2024 at 14:49, Benji said:

Does everyone's voice sound off in season 35 of The Simpsons or is it my imagination?

Yeah I've definitely noticed it.  It's kinda taking me out of things.

When there's a casting change it's one thing.  It still trips me up a bit when I hear Dr. Hibbert or Carl but I'm OK with it because they properly gave those roles to Black voice actors and that's worth hearing a long familiar voice go through a slight change.

But now everybody's voice sounds different and it does seem like a pretty predictable outcome given the mileage on their voices and the age of some of the cast.  I never agreed with people who for years have yelled for the show to go off the air because "the best years were long ago" but what I did fear was that it would stay on to the point where the vocal changes got a bit jarring.  Julie Kavner sounds like she's in pain doing the Marge voice, it makes me sad.

• Like 1

This week's episode of NCIS was the David McCallum/Ducky tribute episode. They played a somber version of the opening theme and had him in the opening credits. No Gibbs except in a flashback clip from an old episode, Abby was mentioned indirectly, and 

Spoiler

Tony showed up at the end. 

If you want to know how Ducky died:

Spoiler

Peacefully in his sleep. Jimmy was the one who found him. 

Ok I was thinking of trying to watch a show again. The only thing I watch reliably right now is John Oliver and I miss having shows I like.

I thought about trying the new season of True Detective because Jodie Foster is pretty awesome but I tried the first season when it was out and gave up because it was way confusing and it kinda felt like it was a bit full of it's self like "Look how clever we are". So does that mean I'll probably feel the same about this one?

Anyone want to throw out a recommendation for a good show? I'm not really looking for comedy because that's basically all I watch but I'm pretty much open to trying anything else. I haven't kept up with the big shows for at least a few years so I probably haven't seen anything you might think of. Thanks! :) 

26 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

I thought about trying the new season of True Detective because Jodie Foster is pretty awesome but I tried the first season when it was out and gave up because it was way confusing and it kinda felt like it was a bit full of it's self like "Look how clever we are". So does that mean I'll probably feel the same about this one?

I haven't watched the new TD season (or any others IIRC), but I felt the same as you during TD season one and stuck it out and, no spoilers, but I think it really nailed the ending and redeemed pretty much everything I disliked about it. Not really fair to suggest you sit through all those episodes and monologues that'' make you feel that way to get to that point, but if you were better than halfway through or so I'd strongly recommend the finale, especially the last five or ten minutes or so.

Beef was sort of the opposite for me. I liked it all until the final episode. I think it's technically a comedy, but there's enough action and drama that I don't think it really counts as one IMO.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, C-MIL said:

Beef was sort of the opposite for me. I liked it all until the final episode. I think it's technically a comedy, but there's enough action and drama that I don't think it really counts as one IMO.

I felt the same way about Beef as well. I felt most of it was extremely compelling, then the last episode was like one long gigantic shark jumping episode.

2 hours ago, Your Mom said:

Anyone want to throw out a recommendation for a good show? I'm not really looking for comedy because that's basically all I watch but I'm pretty much open to trying anything else. I haven't kept up with the big shows for at least a few years so I probably haven't seen anything you might think of. Thanks! :) 

Have you watched the Bear? I think it is the best show I've seen in the last couple of years (although to be fair I've fallen off watching TV and movies ever since I started playing video games again). It's extremely compelling, easy to follow and I think it's 6 episodes a season only?

The only drawback is that it's going to get you to be extremely hungry every time they show what they're cooking.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Benjamin said:

The only drawback is that it's going to get you to be extremely hungry every time they show what they're cooking.

Uhh...and the two anxiety spiking episodes, one in each season.

Also, its 8 episodes S1, then 10 episdoes S2

• Thanks 1

I'll third The Bear recommendation.  It was classified as a comedy for the Emmys because it was a half hour show and so all of the shows of a similar ilk also went in as a comedy because everybody knew Succession would clean up the drama category.  But aside from a few clear gags most of the humor is dark and it's a lot more on the drama side of things.  The writing is great, does a great job of capturing human complexity.

Absolutely captivating show, we flew threw it and are looking forward to the season 3 drop this summer.

And yes, I now wish I could go to Chicago to get an authentic beef sandwich.

• Like 2

The kids were gone this weekend and I threw on the Watchmen on a whim. We binged the whole series. Holy shit is it good. 

• Like 4

Just finished Prime's Mr & Mrs Smith - thought it was very good with an excellent finale! 

On 11/02/2024 at 19:49, Benji said:

Does everyone's voice sound off in season 35 of The Simpsons or is it my imagination?

I just watched the trailer and... yes?

I'd reckon its a little bit age, a little bit in the recording maybe?  I know Julie Kavner's voice is pretty shot and has been since the movie.

2 hours ago, gunnar hendershow said:

Happy Twin Peaks day to all who observe.

• Like 1