Pokémon

PkmnTrainerJ

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So apparently ORAS and XY are set in an alternate timeline to the other games to explain why Mega Evolutions aren't a thing in other regions. I kind of hate that.

I'm quite behind on the series (last one I got was Black) and weirdly something like this is the exact kinda thing I needed to decided to get back into it.

I'm probably going to go and buy a 3DS later today; not sure whether to get X/Y and smash it all week before Friday or just wait and get the new one first and play X or Y afterwards.

They do need to step away from the 'group of ten year olds save the world' stuff and just make it more about your friends actually being a group of genuinely interesting rivals who can somewhat compete with you.

Seriously, they gave us four 'rivals' in XY and Serena is the only one worth actually having there.

I'm not enjoying this game as much as the previous ones. Probably based on the fact I thought the whole 'pokemon over this level will disobey you' was all pokemon not just traded ones which killed the pacing as my pokemon seemed to level up really quickly and made me run to the first 3 gyms. Now I feel like I need to back track and catch up on everything.

Plus seeing if you have caught every pokemon in an area has me walking around in the same screen for ages at a time to complete the collection. In the old days I could just decide that I'd tapped out an area of new pokemon, now I'm told I haven't and for some reason feel the need to catch everything.

On top of all that my starter now looks ridiculous.

In the old days I could just decide that I'd tapped out an area of new pokemon, now I'm told I haven't and for some reason feel the need to catch everything.

Hang on, what? Something tells you that you've not caught all the new Pokemon in an area?

A friend got me Omega Ruby as an early Christmas gift. Glad to be able to experience the Hoenn region, even if they retcon or "alternate universe" stuff to make things fit. I remember enough from my attempt of Ruby to recognize areas (I think I made it up to the Petalburg gym, because I don't recognize Fortree at all). The graphics look really good, and the whole PokeNav thing is great. I don't care about not having seen all the Pokemon in areas unless you get some reward for it, but I think trading stuff into the game fills that stuff in as well. I moved a bunch of stuff from Pokemon Bank and routes I hadn't been to yet had stuff filled in.

One thing I'm glad about is that all the Megastones seem to be obtainable in either version, so no having to have someone get the stone, trade it to you, and them restart the game to get it themselves. Also glad that the Exp. Share is a key item instead of an equipable item. May make leveling too easy and stuff, but I never really cared for grinding forever trying to get the EXP bar to raise a tiny bit every time.

Ended up going with Treeko because there's no reason to use Torchic and the Swampert Mega didn't seem as appealing for a story run. Currently my team is Sceptile, Mightyena, Exploud, Pelipper, and Hariyama (from the Slakoth trade). I originally planned on using Slaking, but decided to try something new with Exploud. Just beat the Fortree gym and that's where I stopped thus far. Got a nice secret base on Route 11, atop the dirt ramp above the sandstorm area, that is a nice shape and size, and took part in one contest thus far (don't see myself doing them that much still, but they look a lot better with the new graphics).

Edited by Vitamin E

So apparently ORAS and XY are set in an alternate timeline to the other games to explain why Mega Evolutions aren't a thing in other regions. I kind of hate that.

Yeah, that annoys me, given that in XY it's made pretty clear that nobody really understands Mega-Evolution and that it's a relatively new discovery - surely that's explanation enough as to why it's not happened before?

• Like 1