Pokémon

PkmnTrainerJ

Hmmmm...I think a good place to begin would be Serebii.net; it has alot of stuff in the game mechanics section, which should help with ya breeding problem. Like I've said in here before, I managed to breed a Machop that knew Meditate and Hidden Power, which was a bit of a surprise to me.

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I'm learning about breeding, being all new to this it's a bit daunting. I've read a little bit, but most guides seem to assume that I did this back in 3rd Gen Pokemon.. I didn't. I could read a 3rd Gen Pokemon guide, but meh.. I'd rather figure it out myself anyway.

One question, one thing I remember reading, is that the whole process will be expediated if I have a Pokemon with Flame Armour or Magma.. Something... is that a move or ability or item? Because I've never seen it. Who in Pearl/Diamond exhibits this quality?

Also is there a website with suggested movesets? Just to give me something to practice achieving with bred pokemon.

Magma Armor or Flame Body, and they're both abilities. Off the top of my head, you can use Magmar, certain Camerupt (half have Hard Rock, half have Magma Armor), Magby, Slugma or Magcargo for this effect. Having one of those Pokemon in your team while walking around with an egg halves the steps required, but having more than one does not quarter the egg steps required (that is, it doesn't stack).

Serebii.net is a good starting place for finding Pokemon movesets, but if you want to get more competitive with them, try Smogon.com. Keep in mind that Smogon is quite competitively based, whereas Serebii is pretty much anything-goes when it comes to your level of effort.

Like I've said in here before, I managed to breed a Machop that knew Meditate and Hidden Power, which was a bit of a surprise to me.

I'm guessing it was a male Meditite with a female Machop? Meditate is something Machop can't usually learn, but Hidden Power's nothing special; just about everything can learn Hidden Power, even more things that can learn Toxic (since Unown is counted where Hidden Power is concerned).

Out of curiosity, did you find out what type Hidden Power Machop has?

And on that note, Keith, if you want me to assist further in your learning about breeding, just ask. :)

Edited by DoubleX

Yep, got it in one. On a side note, Serebii have completely overhauled the Pokedex today and added things that allow you to see what Pokemon you have to use in order to get what egg moves. Seems fitting based on this discussion. I'm peeved still about my Girafarig/Ponyta cross that got zero new moves.

Yep, got it in one. On a side note, Serebii have completely overhauled the Pokedex today and added things that allow you to see what Pokemon you have to use in order to get what egg moves. Seems fitting based on this discussion. I'm peeved still about my Girafarig/Ponyta cross that got zero new moves.

The male has to know TM or egg moves that the female can learn, otherwise nothing's passed over. It's possible for kinky giraffe cross flaming-horse sex to result in a baby giraffe/flaming horse with new moves, you just need to assert some more control over it.

Just for the heck of it, a quick breeding guide thing pertaining to moves:

Say you have a female Rapidash and a male Girafarig. Rapidash knows Stomp/Flamethrower/Bounce/Megahorn, Girafarig knows Stomp/Hidden Power/Psychic/Double Kick. The resulting offspring will be a Ponyta. A level 1 Ponyta knows only Tackle naturally. Girafarig knows Hidden Power, a TM Ponyta can learn, and Double Kick, one of Ponyta's egg moves. Thus, the Ponyta will know Tackle/Hidden Power/Double Kick. As well as this, both the mother and father know Stomp, a move Ponyta can learn by level-up, and so the Ponyta will also know Stomp.

Rapidash		 +	Girafarig

- Flamethrower - Stomp

- Stomp - Hidden Power

- Megahorn - Psychic

- Bounce - Double Kick

FEMALE MALE

Ponyta

- Tackle

- Hidden Power

- Stomp

- Double Kick

To summarise, moves are only passed down by the father. If the father knows a TM the lowest level of the female can learn, or knows one of the female's egg moves, the resulting offspring will know it. If both the female and male know a move the lowest level of the female can learn by level up, the resulting offspring will also know that.

EDIT: I only just realised that I used my 1500th post explaining mechanics of Pokemon breeding in regards to moves.

Go me.

Edited by DoubleX

Thanks man, I think I figured a lot of that out with some test runs. (I stuck an Onyx with a Graveller and wrote down moves and stuff, then checked the offspring [None of the guides specified if the offspring would be the earliest form - ie a geodude, hence the test]) but it's nice to have it clarified, cheers :)

The legendary pokemon are pissing me off at the moment. I got dialga with a single Ultraball, piss easy... I'm now trying to get mespirit, but the fucker keeps running and my only high level pokemon with a sleep move keeps missing.

Can anyone tell me a monster that I can capture in the wild with a move that stops pokemon escaping?

Thanks man, I think I figured a lot of that out with some test runs. (I stuck an Onyx with a Graveller and wrote down moves and stuff, then checked the offspring [None of the guides specified if the offspring would be the earliest form - ie a geodude, hence the test]) but it's nice to have it clarified, cheers :)

The legendary pokemon are pissing me off at the moment. I got dialga with a single Ultraball, piss easy... I'm now trying to get mespirit, but the fucker keeps running and my only high level pokemon with a sleep move keeps missing.

Can anyone tell me a monster that I can capture in the wild with a move that stops pokemon escaping?

I think Legendaries might be immune to those abilities in this one. I got myself a Dugtrio with Arena Trap so I could stop Cresselia from escaping, and it doesn't work. The Cresselia keeps running away like it always did. =(

Hmm, any advice then?

I still have my Master Ball, but if all three of the Legendaries run, I'm still fucked.

Is the Kricketune failing to put it to sleep because sing is just shit, or because they can't be put to sleep?

I think Legendaries might be immune to those abilities in this one. I got myself a Dugtrio with Arena Trap so I could stop Cresselia from escaping, and it doesn't work. The Cresselia keeps running away like it always did. =(

Hmm, any advice then?

I still have my Master Ball, but if all three of the Legendaries run, I'm still fucked.

Is the Kricketune failing to put it to sleep because sing is just shit, or because they can't be put to sleep?

Ah, I thought it was a master ball, I must have got confused between the newspaper guy giving you balls and the lottery giving you a master.

Cool.

Anyway, I spent my lunch chasing that legendary pokething around the region, I mean looked it with Murkrow... wore it down a little... then the mean look wore off and the fucker ran away.

I got pissed off and turned the DS off.

Bah.

Dugtrio's Arena Trap didn't work on Cresselia because Cresselia has the Levitate ability. Arena Trap fails on anything Flying or with Levitate. Shadow Tag and Arena Trap do work on running legendaries.

Hmm, any advice then?

Save your Master Ball for Cresselia, it's much more annoying to whittle down to low health due to it being a hyper-defensive motherfucker of a Pokemon.

Also Sing is shit. If you want sleep, use Sleep Powder or Hypnosis. If you have something on a high enough level with Spore, then go with that.

Gengar is a good legendary-catcher, since it learns Hypnosis and Mean Look by level-up. That's my suggestion if you can be patient enough to raise a Gastly/trade for a high level Gengar with Mean Look and Hypnosis.

Amazingly, my Poynta cross thing only knows Stomp; it doesn't even know Tackle.

Say what? Elaborate on that please.

Edited by DoubleX

Dont worry guys, I got all three of them last night. Used Murkrow with Mean Look.

The other legendaries weren't so difficult, although the one at snowpoint pissed me off. I got it down to one pixel of health, put it to sleep, threw thirty ultra balls at it, nothing. I switched to timer balls, nothing. It went on for so long that it ran out of moves and struggled once, killing itself. Bastard.

I reset though, and caught it relatively easily the next time, following the same strategy. Weird.