Pokémon

PkmnTrainerJ

Dont worry guys, I got all three of them last night. Used Murkrow with Mean Look.

The other legendaries weren't so difficult, although the one at snowpoint pissed me off. I got it down to one pixel of health, put it to sleep, threw thirty ultra balls at it, nothing. I switched to timer balls, nothing. It went on for so long that it ran out of moves and struggled once, killing itself. Bastard.

I reset though, and caught it relatively easily the next time, following the same strategy. Weird.

That's because the catch rate calculation involves a random number. I don't know the actual equation, but every Pokemon has a number assigned to it as a Catch Rate value. Most legendaries have their catch rate as 3. Basically, that number, as well as a value assigned to the ball you used, is input into an equation, and if the resulting number fits a certain characteristic, the Pokemon is caught. If it doesn't, the Pokemon is not.

Everything in Pokemon is an equation, and a lot of them have a random number involved somewhere.

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got one Mesprit from GTC which I traded for one of my bred Eevees. I managed to get my own though the other week in a rather odd occurance, I was training up my Kanto starters in one of the early patches of grass and up it pops. I had a Bulbasaur out at a very low level so it wasn't gonna hurt it's health and it didn't have anything to stop it so I chucked a quick ball just to do something meaningful before it ran off. Shockingly though it worked. Now I have 2 of them sitting doing nothing.

Anyone know where I can see a Burmy? I don't need to catch one right now. It's just the last Pokémon I'm missing. I think. Burmy is #045, right?

Quickest way possible would be nice, I'd like to get it done on my lunch break, so honeying a tree and waiting twelve hours isn't the best way >_<... well unless it the only way but i think someone here mentioned that most pok can be seen by battling trainers along way.. thinking maybe missed one.>

Yeah. 150 seen, Elite Four beaten. (With pretty much the worst team you've ever seen, don't know how I managed it - but I didn't really want to train a real team right from the start and be wasting TM's and such before I could breed properly) My team was basically the first six pokémon I came across (Except I ditched Bidoof for a Murkrow).

Murkrow

Kricketune

Empoleon

Luxwhatever

Kadabra

Staravia

So yeah, I'll start training properly now.

That's pretty much what I did as well, and I've only just started EV training for my Pokemon today, after days of trying to get the ones I wanted, and with the right nature. In their unevolved states, this is what my team looks like just now;

Aron - Impish

Abra - Modest

Duskull - Brave

Kabuto - Adamant

Nidorin♂ - Adamant

Tentacool - Hasty

Today I'm fighting Shellos and Gastrodon outside of the Fuego Ironworks to work on the HP of my Aron. I'll probably move onto either Attack or Defence from there, but I haven't decided what EVs I'll be working on for the rest of them yet. I know what moveset I want all of them to have, with the exception of Aron. I only know that I want at least Iron Tail and Double-Edge.

Edited by Agahnim Demen

Right now, my Blissey is the only one I'm particularly looking at for EV's - specifically, the Defense EV's, because right now she sucks with that. I mean, seriously, it's bad. Her Special Attack, however, owns all and is partly the reason why I put Thunderbolt and Flamethrower in the moveset. Sneasel, however, is still kicking Blissey's arse with Fury Swipes & Faint Attack. Snover suck, though, so that's all good. And yes, I know they're not particularly Defense EV friendly, but I'm levelling up too.

Right now I'm on a break from the main game. I'm working up a couple of my Pokemon I caught ages ago, and I never really noticed until now, but the patch of grass from Day-Care Town to Lake Valor (think it's Valor...) is really good for levelling up quick. Ponyta, Girafarig and Kricketune all give 499 exp at least (from a Lv 23 Ponyta, the lowest you can get).

I'm waiting to unleash my Blissey on my friend, because he has no idea what moves it has. Unless he throws out a Rock or Ground I'm okay, as for some reason Blissey is managing to hold its own against fighting types (bar Hi Jump Kick. Seriously, that move pisses me off so much).

Yeah. 150 seen, Elite Four beaten. (With pretty much the worst team you've ever seen, don't know how I managed it - but I didn't really want to train a real team right from the start and be wasting TM's and such before I could breed properly) My team was basically the first six pokémon I came across (Except I ditched Bidoof for a Murkrow).

Murkrow

Kricketune

Empoleon

Luxwhatever

Kadabra

Staravia

So yeah, I'll start training properly now.

No Staraptor or Honchkrow? Bad Keith, bad. Also no Alakazam, but that's not so bad since it's harder to evolve.

Right now I'm on a break from the main game. I'm working up a couple of my Pokemon I caught ages ago, and I never really noticed until now, but the patch of grass from Day-Care Town to Lake Valor (think it's Valor...) is really good for levelling up quick. Ponyta, Girafarig and Kricketune all give 499 exp at least (from a Lv 23 Ponyta, the lowest you can get).

I'm waiting to unleash my Blissey on my friend, because he has no idea what moves it has. Unless he throws out a Rock or Ground I'm okay, as for some reason Blissey is managing to hold its own against fighting types (bar Hi Jump Kick. Seriously, that move pisses me off so much).

Hi-Jump Kick is funny when it misses a Blissey. They usually either KO themselves, or come quite close. My Medicham HJK'ed right as that person with the Drifblim in the Elite Four switched to it, and since Drifblim's a Ghost type it obviously failed. Medicham nearly died from the recoil :pinch:

It was Staraptor, sorry. And no.. no Honchcrow. If it took more effort than levelling up, I didn't bother. Like I say, the team I use to complete the game isn't going to be anything like my main team so I couldn't be arsed.

It was Staraptor, sorry. And no.. no Honchcrow. If it took more effort than levelling up, I didn't bother. Like I say, the team I use to complete the game isn't going to be anything like my main team so I couldn't be arsed.

Dark Stone evolves Murkrow to Honchkrow. And there's one pretty much right in your path when you enter Team Galactic's warehouse to whip their asses.

No excuses.