What Did You Watch Today?

BlackFlagg

Thought The Beguiled was a solid film, but the third act fell a bit off a steep cliff for me. The first hour managed to salvage it for me, as I enjoyed the tension Coppola managed to bring out in those scenes, as well as just the fine chemistry the entire cast had together. Those dinner scenes were stellar. Oona Laurence is fantastic.

Haven't seen the remake, but I saw the original, and it fell apart at the end, too. The ending just plain stunk. And I assume the remake uses the same one:

They kill him.

Just got done watching one of my favorite movies again. I don't know how many times I've seen it, but I stopped counting a long time ago. The Shawshank Redemption.

Ah, fuck it, I really liked mother! It veers into a maddening black comedy, in a way that I was extremely taken in by. My girlfriend hated it, though, she felt sick afterwards. She made herself feel better by watching the latest episode of Modern Family, which I guess is as good as any way to get your mind off of the film.

• Like 1

Wind River was excellent. Taylor Sheridan seems to have borrowed whatever magic power David Mackenzie has for action scenes, because they were real roller coasters, the tension and excitement had me on the edge of my seat.

It's got a real gut punch of a story, too, I nearly teared a couple of times, the intensity was almost more than I could bear.

I just watched the season premiere of The Big Bang Theory and the series premieres of Young Sheldon Me, Myself, & I. All three were great.

Now, I'm going to watch episode 11 of The Walking Dead, season 7. Catching up before Oct. 22nd.

Man, Colin Trevorrow's Book of Henry really was goddamn awful. I don't know which is worse, the absurdity of the entire premise or that Naomi Watts actually seemed to be trying her best to put some damn heart into this mess.

It was shot well, though, but Trevorrow really tries too hard to be eccentric but then just ends up shooting something bland and utterly moronic. Kinda' glad he left Star Wars, even though I sort of enjoyed Jurassic World.

I finally got around to seeing IT.  Holy fuck that was a good adaptation.  It probably helps that I read the book in middle school, so its been long enough that I don't remember everything (although I did start chanting "he thrusts his fists against the posts and still insists he sees the ghosts" along with Bill), but yeah, great job.  My roommate, who never read the book or saw the tv movie, thought it was really good too.

Blade Runner 2049 was real good. So good that it absolutely delighted my dad, who counts the original Blade Runner among his absolute favorite movies and can be really, really hard to please if something's meant to be a sequel or adaptation of a piece of pop culture he holds dear. The casting is dead-on on every single level; I love the unknowns they got to play the female leads, Ryan Gosling was in Stoic Ryan Gosling mode and while I prefer Slapstick Ryan Gosling it was some damn good Stoic Gosling, Harrison Ford was great, and they had a murderers row of character actors to enliven various scenes. And my favorite image in the trailers...

Spoiler

Turned out to be absolutely devastating in the movie itself. Joe/K coming across the Joi advertisement that preyed on his loneliness/heartbreak after his Joi had been destroyed. Good god.

Going to try and see it a second time next week, on one of the bigger screens in Seattle.

My tentative thoughts on Blade Runner 2049:

1. It is good... to what degree I am undecided. 
2. It is longer than it needs to be.
3. Whilst I liked the cinematography, the world didn't feel grubby or claustrophobic enough.
4. I need to re-watch it.

55 minutes ago, iDOL said:

It Comes at Night is a complete waste of time.

I liked it. Very few lame jump scares, and a lot of scenes that just messes with your senses and expectations of what's about to happen. Really gets the blood pumping. Probably the best horror movie I've seen this year, except for Get Out.