What Did You Watch Today?

BlackFlagg

Anyone who claims The Godfather is their favourite film is a great big liar trying to come across as being intellectual about film. Every other A-Level Film Studies student tries this trick.

Your favourite film is the one that, after watching it ten times, you're still taken aback by - a film you will give your undivided attention to despite the typical distractions around you, a film you can wax lyrical about for hours, and a film that makes you involuntarily smile throughout as it's so pleasurable. Simple as that.

Are these two things mutually exclusive?

No. I was half-asleep when I wrote this, it should say "almost everyone" because there are obviously people who do watch The Godfather in that way.

But speaking from experience, during my first A-Level Film Studies lesson the teacher went around the room and asked what everyone's favourite film was. Many people went with the likes of The Godfather and Casablanca and Gone With The Wind; the undisputed classics, plus they were 'old' films - intellects like old films! As time went on though, people became comfortable saying they preferred watching Pulp Fiction or a Tim Burton film on a loop because they understood their favourite film is a personal choice, not a consencous.

Really? I've found the opposite in my class. Some of them dislike films like Fight Club and feel much more comfortable claiming we should watch Harry Potter for our exam. But I see what you're saying.

Ugh, I had this but with Literature. "CAN WE STUDY HARRY POTTER!?", well yeah if you want to read a load of shite that has no extended metaphor and could be analysed to death by a fuckin' Corgi.

On that note, I still need to watch the last Harry Potter, just so I can get that series done and finished forever. Not that the films are as offensive as the books though.

Really? I've found the opposite in my class. Some of them dislike films like Fight Club and feel much more comfortable claiming we should watch Harry Potter for our exam. But I see what you're saying.

Ugh, I had this but with Literature. "CAN WE STUDY HARRY POTTER!?", well yeah if you want to read a load of shite that has no extended metaphor and could be analysed to death by a fuckin' Corgi.

This is why Lit classes are terrible, this whole "my literature is better than your literature" attitude.

This is why Lit classes are terrible, this whole "my literature is better than your literature" attitude.

I have a friend that did Lit at university who got derided for saying his favourite book was The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy. It's his opinion based on personal factors, not an airtight theory of what is the perfect novel. Fuck Ulysses!

I don't condemn people for wanting to read easy literature like Harry Potter, I really don't. Heck, I read Stephen King and love it. But sorry, if you're studying it at A Level then you should have some fuckin' degree of intelligence about it all. Harry Potter has basic syntax for the most part, the lack of adjectives as displayed by "he said, she said, harry said, ginny said, ron said" further adds to this credence and there are no overwhelming themes or social commentary. I'm sure you could find them but I could find them in Stephen King's writing and he churns story's out like a fuckin' machine.

If you like Harry Potter books, I'm not judging you and nor am I saying I'm better because I enjoy Charles Dickens, James Joyce, blah blah blah 'intelligent' literature. I'm just glad Potter has people reading that otherwise might not pick up a book, but to study it? There's a reason Combined English classes have it on their syllabus and proper literature classes don't.

Edit: I love Hitchhiker's guide, but I'd much rather compare the themes of duality between Dorian Gray and Jekkyl and Hyde for an essay.

Edited by Devil In Jouzy City

I don't condemn people for wanting to read easy literature like Harry Potter, I really don't. Heck, I read Stephen King and love it. But sorry, if you're studying it at A Level then you should have some fuckin' degree of intelligence about it all. Harry Potter has basic syntax for the most part, the lack of adjectives as displayed by "he said, she said, harry said, ginny said, ron said" further adds to this credence and there are no overwhelming themes or social commentary. I'm sure you could find them but I could find them in Stephen King's writing and he churns story's out like a fuckin' machine.

If you like Harry Potter books, I'm not judging you and nor am I saying I'm better because I enjoy Charles Dickens, James Joyce, blah blah blah 'intelligent' literature. I'm just glad Potter has people reading that otherwise might not pick up a book, but to study it? There's a reason Combined English classes have it on their syllabus and proper literature classes don't.

Edit: I love Hitchhiker's guide, but I'd much rather compare the themes of duality between Dorian Gray and Jekkyl and Hyde for an essay.

1. "Said" (and its substitutes) is a verb, not an adjective.

2. You're supposed to abuse the word said. Cycling through words like commented/remarked/enthused/articulated etc. is just bad writing. And let's not even talk about adverbs.

I give you that the prose in Harry Potter is pretty prosiac, but if you're going to show off about your literary knowledge at least get your basics right, thanks.

Edited by Jaime Zannister
  • Like 2

2. You're supposed to abuse the word said. Cycling through words like commented/remarked/enthused/articulated etc. is just bad writing. And let's not even talk about adverbs.

I give you that the prose in Harry Potter is pretty prosiac, but if you're going to show off about your literary knowledge at least get your basics right, thanks.

I was referring to using things like "Harry said poetically" or "Ron said enthusiastically". Not the word 'said'. So glad you added to the conversation though. Thanks for playing.

Oh and as an extra, I wasn't trying to show off about any knowledge. Unlike you, I'm actually not a massive arsehole :). Oh and "prosiac"? MY MY GRANDMA WHAT BIG WORDS YOU HAVE!

Edit: Watching Dexter, god damn I've been enjoying this season. So glad it doesn't take a christmas break too with Chuck, HIMYM and Big Bang Theory having a christmas break :(.

Edited by Devil In Jouzy City

I was referring to using things like "Harry said poetically" or "Ron said enthusiastically". Not the word 'said'. So glad you added to the conversation though. Thanks for playing.

Oh and as an extra, I wasn't trying to show off about any knowledge. Unlike you, I'm actually not a massive arsehole :). Oh and "prosiac"? MY MY GRANDMA WHAT BIG WORDS YOU HAVE!

Edit: Watching Dexter, god damn I've been enjoying this season. So glad it doesn't take a christmas break too with Chuck, HIMYM and Big Bang Theory having a christmas break :(.

"Poetically" and "enthusiastically" are adverbs. This is because they modify verbs, like 'said'.

More importantly, adverbs are a pretty weak tool because they rely on telling, as opposed to showing what the writer intends. There are far better ways to convey the same information. "Poetically", for instance, could easily be established by making whatever dialogue follows...poetic. There are times where it's simply easier to use an adverb, but to suggest that somehow they're the hallmark of good literature is just absurd.

And yes, I suppose I'm an asshole for pointing out the flaws in your claim. If you want to continue though, I'd gladly do it in the book thread. (Y)