What Did You Watch Today?

BlackFlagg

The toy line was at it's peak in the 80s and 90s and the reason the movies were made was based on that nostalgia. Them being based on a toy line is irrelevant when the movies are rated PG-13 and clearly not aimed at kids. You're only using that as the basis of your argument in an attempt to shame him, despite the fact that his reaction is Bay's intention. Disagree with that tactic employed by Bay if you want but that doesn't mean that they are kids movies.

I can't think of a single adult I know that likes those movies, while every kid I've heard mention the franchise has mentioned it in a positive way.

And I have no problem shaming anyone for shitty posts like that.

The toy line was at it's peak in the 80s and 90s and the reason the movies were made was based on that nostalgia. Them being based on a toy line is irrelevant when the movies are rated PG-13 and clearly not aimed at kids. You're only using that as the basis of your argument in an attempt to shame him, despite the fact that his reaction is Bay's intention. Disagree with that tactic employed by Bay if you want but that doesn't mean that they are kids movies.

I can't think of a single adult I know that likes those movies, while every kid I've heard mention the franchise has mentioned it in a positive way.

Congrats? That still doesn't mean that they're kids movies. If they were, they'd be rated PG and as I've already said, they're not.

You do realize the irony in that post right?

I stand by my post. If that is shitty, yours is fucking appalling.

Congrats? That still doesn't mean that they're kids movies. If they were, they'd be rated PG and as I've already said, they're not.

Everything is relative. We don't have the same ratings guidelines as everywhere else in the world, and the intent of a filmmaker does not necessarily reflect the rating it gets. Plus, everybody I knew was way more into PG-13 movies before they turned 13 than after. I know I was.
  • Like 1

It's a movie about talking robot cars. As long as they don't need an ID to get in, a PG-13 rating isn't going to keep kids away.

You do realize the irony in that post right?

I stand by my post. If that is shitty, yours is fucking appalling.

"Ironic" sexual objectification is still shitty.

Oh wait, no, I don't think you're claiming your sexual objectification was irony, you're saying it's ironic that I'd call you out for a shitty post when I, in your eyes, made a shitty post too? Oh, well, in that case, nah-nah-nah-nah-boo-boo no I didn't.

Kids being interested in the movie and it being a kids movie are two entirely different things. Kids are interested in a lot of things but that doesn't mean that the intent of those things is specifically aimed at kids.

There are obviously things that kids enjoy about the Transformers movies, just as there are any number of movies. There are things that kids enjoy about Man of Steel but does that make it a kids movie? No, it doesn't.

I think you will have to define what makes a kids' movie, then. Why is it different than an adults' movie? Adults enjoy plenty of kids' movies so it is not as clear cut as just saying "this is who it's aimed at," especially if you dispute (as you do, Livid) the idea that the audience of the movie reflects its categorization.

I would define a kid's movie as movie that is marketed specifically towards children. Yeah, lots of adults enjoy them, but they are still a kid's movie. The new Transformers series is marketed towards the teen/early 20's crowd. It doesn't stop kids from loving it, it just means they weren't the main target demographic. Kids can still be a target(which explains the movie toys), but if they aren't the main target demo, then it's not a kid's movie. Why is this an argument? It seems pretty cut-and-dry to me. Besides, the new Transformers movies suck ass anyway.

Well, is The Room a drama or a comedy? Pretty much the only way it's appreciated right now is in a comedic context. Not intended or marketed as a comedy at first but it gained attention for the humor found in it and it's been marketed as comedy since.

Well, is The Room a drama or a comedy? Pretty much the only way it's appreciated right now is in a comedic context. Not intended or marketed as a comedy at first but it gained attention for the humor found in it and it's been marketed as comedy since.

I haven't seen it, but I would say if the comedic aspect wasn't intended by the filmmakers originally then it would be a drama, albeit not a very good one if people are laughing at it. Marketing it as a comedy after the fact feels like rolling with the punches.

Filmmaker's intent is an extremely fickle thing and ultimately unimportant, especially if you consider that there are a lot of works out there with unknown authors or with authors who are very little known (just the name, say) but they are still considered in one way or another without needing to ascertain the author's intent. Further, who do you have to go by on the intent? The filmmaker? The maker of The Room changed his tune as well and talks about it now as if it was a black comedy. If the filmmaker's word is all you have to go on, why are you doubting it now instead of before?

Filmmaker's intent is an extremely fickle thing and ultimately unimportant, especially if you consider that there are a lot of works out there with unknown authors or with authors who are very little known (just the name, say) but they are still considered in one way or another without needing to ascertain the author's intent. Further, who do you have to go by on the intent? The filmmaker? The maker of The Room changed his tune as well and talks about it now as if it was a black comedy. If the filmmaker's word is all you have to go on, why are you doubting it now instead of before?

What would you expect him to do? He's certainly not going to say "Oh, I made a shitty drama". If the film was made with the intention of being a drama and marketed upon relase as such, then I consider it a drama. If it sucks so bad it becomes comedy in the eyes of viewers, that doesn't change the fact that it was made as a drama.

Edited by HeadCheese

What would you expect him to do? He's certainly not going to say "Oh, I made a shitty drama". If the film was made with the intention of being a drama and marketed upon relase as such, then I consider it a drama. If it sucks so bad it becomes comedy in the eyes of viewers, that doesn't change the fact that it was made as a drama.

I agree with you, but you are being unclear about where exactly the distinction should be drawn. If there's no real distinction, then LD can call whatever he likes a kids' movie and nobody should raise a fuss about genre (unless you're just mad he called a movie you liked a kids' movie, in which case, tough). If there is a clear distinction in your mind, then you have to explain exactly what "intent" is, who gets to arbitrate intent, and even whether the intent of the artist is the same thing as the intent of the work.