What Did You Watch Today?

BlackFlagg

I just can't work out where that's come from, though. Pans Labyrinth is excellent, but his reputation, on paper, definitely doesn't seem to match his filmography. I'm not saying he's not a great filmmaker, it just seems a little mismatched.

Well Blade 2 was the best in the series and there are quite a few fans of The Devil's Backbone but a lot of his reputation is based off of the types of projects he's been pursuing for the past 5 years that haven't been made.

Add all that with the fact that his interviews clearly demonstrate he's just a lovable nerd who loves his job and you get what he is now.

EDIT: You also happen to be in the minority about Hellboy though too and those are definitely contributing factors.

So, yeah day couldn't get worse with movies I've seen: Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters just plain stupid.

And 2 Headed Shark Attack, great idea, knew it would be bad, but so bad DAMN. It did eager my interest in Killer Shark movies. Found a great list over at Letterboxd: http://letterboxd.com/weinberg/list/killer-sharks/ going to watch some of them. Next stop Sharknado.

Edit:

I had to watch a good movie too, The Day the Earth Stood Still (50's verion) o boy, it's great. It was on my EWB's Watch-a-Long list but I have replaced it now. Klaatu! Barada! Nikto!.

Just watched Pacific Rim again. OMG, the little girl is an amazing actress. Best moments of the entire movie come from her, which is crazy considering this is a movie of kaijus versus mechas.

Also, while this certainly isn't Citizen Kane or anything, but to say that there's isn't any great characters is dumb. Likening it to any of the Transformers isn't really fair, it's nothing like it.

The Conjuring

Good horror movie, one of the best haunted family stories, ranking up there with Poltergeist.

But making real-life charlatans, Ed & Lorraine Warren, the heroes of the movie really bothered me. I know studios are gonna slap "based on actual events" on any horror movie they can, it's stupid, but it's here to stay. The Warrens preyed on addicts, the mentally ill and abused children though, they are no heroes.

The Evil Dead remake is awful. Saw it today, and I can't believe people enjoyed it. The acting is terrible, and there isn't an ounce of suspense to be found. Instead of telling a good story, it's focused on how much blood can be splattered in ninety minutes. It's a textbook example of why most modern horror films suck.

Going to see The Conjuring Saturday.

Edited by HeadCheese
  • Like 1