The Old Sony Megathread

Mattman

Yeah it's very difficult. I've bumped the sliders in my favor until I get the hang of it. I started a RTTS game as a relief pitcher and I got drafted by my favorite team which is pretty cool. Currently bombing around in AA and I'm doing alright. Only given up one earned run, the rest of the runs scored on me were due to errors by my fielders. The pitching is a little odd to get the hang of (I miss MLB 2K7) but I think once I can put more points into my control stats I'll be alright. Very fun game though so far.

I played the game for hours today but haven't left my RTTS. I made closer for my team and have made 15 out of 15 saves. I made the AA All Star team and was promptly traded to the Reds. I'm hoping I can get out of AA by the end of the season or at the beginning of the next. I'm assuming that since the Reds gave up quite a few players to get me that maybe they are in need of a closer and I'll make it through the system quickly.

Like I mentioned earlier, I haven't played a baseball game in 15 years, but I had no idea what I was getting into when I turned this game on. I feel like a quadruple amputee after being shoved into a swimming pool.

Just went out and got MLB 10 The Show. The presentation and graphics are a little nicer. Pitching is the same, yet I feel like the computer is a little more human - they through more bad pitches and I am actually able to get a few hits.

It works the other way too. I tried throwing a slider outside, just missed the timing and ended up giving up a two-run shot to Ryan Theriot.

Just played the Just Cause 2 demo. It was... okay. I didn't mind it, but then it all felt a little samey to me. I think there's a lot of potential for mindless fun with the grapple and the parachute, but I'm not sure I'd be willing to pay full price for it. It feels a little bit like a cross between Saints Row 2 and The Saboteur.

Also, wow, the intro video with that woman was awful. The voice acting in this game does not sound good.

I laughed my arse off at that intro. Like some horrible import voice over. The demo was pretty much what Mercenaries was. It's decent for a rent. I can assume although the game looks fun to wreak havoc the actual missions may turn out repetitive and burn out quickly.

To be fair, I don't think there's really any type of mission for a sandbox game to do that hasn't been done to death already. I mean, they've been around since GTA III now, to me at least, the genre has just gotten tired. The last one I truly enjoyed to the point that I actually wanted to finish it because it was fun was GTA SA. Nothing since that has managed to keep me remotely entertained past the initial hour of gameplay. Not Prototype, Infamous, GTA IV, Saints Row 2, Red Faction, The Saboteur... all just too much of the same.

If they didn't haul in such large amounts of cash, I'd say it's time to give the genre a rest for a while. Though, with the Grappling Hook and the Parachute and the whole, hijack a plane mid air thing, Just Cause 2 looks like it might last a little longer, but I have no doubt that it'll inevitably lead to feeling like more of the same as you progress through.

I'd quite like to see one set in the future, but like, Star Wars style future. Flying cars & Spaceships and so on.

Ah. Now I'm sad because I remembered how little progress seems to have been made on Battlefront 3. sad.gif

GT5 got the Nascar license as a "Gamemode". I never liked Nascar races, but the old PC games were a lot of fun!

The Stateside NASCAR racing series is world-renowned for high speed, high octane, oval racing and with the launch of Gran Turismo 5, we will see the inclusion of NASCAR for the first time in series history.

Our colleagues in America recently shot a film featuring Kazunori Yamauchi that gives us a real flavour of the NASCAR experience and just what it is that makes NASCAR one of the world’s most popular racing series’ – Enjoy!

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2010/03/05/gran-turismo-5-new-trailer/

The intro to Just Cause 2 does remind of Resident Evil a lot. And not in a good way. In a "OMG how bad is this dialogue" way.

The game itself just all seems rather pointless. Reminds me of Scarface actually, just you and this big world with not that great handling on cars that involves you really just messing around until you've had enough.

Edited by TheModernWay