The Old Sony Megathread

Mattman

Matzat does a lot of things wrong, but the fact you can't understand him means you should make more of an effort if you've decided you're gonna argue with him, thats all I'm getting at.

• Like 1

PSP Go would've worked if they'd never bothered with UMD in the first place for the PSP. It might've still worked if there was a way to convert them or something, but no one was going to upgrade when they'd already spent money on the game they wouldn't be able to play and by this point in time, pretty much everyone that was going to buy a PSP has already brought one, apart from the odd person or two. Like me. But then I'd only do it for playing FFVII on the go, so I don't really count. >_>

The trouble with the Go is that it's not simple enough. Parents buy handhelds for kids to keep them quiet, i.e. DS Lite, buy console, buy cartridge, job done. The Go needs you to either link with your computer or a PS3 and download, and there's no option for trading in games you don't use, so that's th hardcore lot out.

The trouble with the Go is that it's not simple enough. Parents buy handhelds for kids to keep them quiet, i.e. DS Lite, buy console, buy cartridge, job done. The Go needs you to either link with your computer or a PS3 and download, and there's no option for trading in games you don't use, so that's th hardcore lot out.

Decent points.

I don't think they even bother selling Go here any more. They just sell the PSP 3000 and they sell a LOT of those. Hundreds of games on the shelves too, including loads of games that the Western market will never see.

However with all those games available EVERYONE on the subway seems to be playing Monster Hunter. :shifty:

I don't think they even bother selling Go here any more. They just sell the PSP 3000 and they sell a LOT of those. Hundreds of games on the shelves too, including loads of games that the Western market will never see.

However with all those games available EVERYONE on the subway seems to be playing Monster Hunter. :shifty:

Thats why i want to check out that game.

To me, the only Handheld i played on a lot since the original GameBoy is my iPad 2 right now (and thats to a limted amound or in a different breed of games since virtual joysticks blow). I got an DSLite and there is ashitton of games i am interested in but it just dos not draw me in enough. Maybe i should have gotten the bigger version... the handheld marked just issent my way of gaming so i am a decent amount of not interested in actualy owning a NGP. It looks sexy though.

Or mabey sony and theire PSP publishers putting up games on PSN, late, at a pice that is not nearly able to compeed with used or bargin bin UMDs (some times even on day one prices) or just not at all put them up for sale at all... and all of this on a console thats at least started out more expensive than the original PSP series was around that time. Getting so much less for a higher price, got winning written all over it. Yep.

Maybe it´s not only the customers fault. :-p

Edited by Michael Matzat on a Plane

... Matzat, he wasn't blaming the customer, though. He was blaming Sony for misjudging what it was their own consumers wanted to and were willing to do with their products.

If sony would promote a propper online plan it could work. It´s not that steam is dead in the water like the PSP go is, it´s getting stronger every day. It´s how you entertain people, how you let them take part... discounts everywere (if you are using steam you got your eye on it at all times... that game i always wanted for a price that makes me not care that i cannot resell it, yes!), cool old games that work because it´s an "up to date" steam version.

Do you understand what i am getting at? While as a publisher you could just go and dump all your old PSone/PSP games on PSN for PSP and PSP Go to basicly earn free monney they decided not to... why would they? I bet it´s a lot harder to "port" a game to steam. Sony screwed up something in their pricing so no one suported it... sony refused to make changes to these PSN Policys and instead tried to get rid of PSP go consoles at a very low pricepoint with 10 free games... this easily could have gone way better if they had brought the gigantic library they have to the table.

Also, while i think the PSP go looks better, i feel that the normal edition PSP is more frindly to the hand, issent it? I think the same about the Playstation Phone, NGP looks much more gamer frindly.

The PSP in general was a bit crap really and had no real redeeming qualities over the DS anyway. I'll reserve judgement on the NGP though because the 3DS seems like the most pointless sequel to a console of all time.

The PSP in general was a bit crap really and had no real redeeming qualities over the DS anyway. I'll reserve judgement on the NGP though because the 3DS seems like the most pointless sequel to a console of all time.

NDS just sells. They come up with a new version every now and than to resell it to you and "you" do rebuy... you can´t really blame them. Ton´s of good games from many eras, cheap prices... to bad they lost the GBA slot so they can resell olf games as Download. And well, maybe some day there will be more N3DS games that are not remakes of N64 Titles. <_<

If sony would promote a propper online plan it could work. It´s not that steam is dead in the water like the PSP go is, it´s getting stronger every day. It´s how you entertain people, how you let them take part... discounts everywere (if you are using steam you got your eye on it at all times... that game i always wanted for a price that makes me not care that i cannot resell it, yes!), cool old games that work because it´s an "up to date" steam version.

Do you understand what i am getting at? While as a publisher you could just go and dump all your old PSone/PSP games on PSN for PSP and PSP Go to basicly earn free monney they decided not to... why would they? I bet it´s a lot harder to "port" a game to steam. Sony screwed up something in their pricing so no one suported it... sony refused to make changes to these PSN Policys and instead tried to get rid of PSP go consoles at a very low pricepoint with 10 free games... this easily could have gone way better if they had brought the gigantic library they have to the table.

Also, while i think the PSP go looks better, i feel that the normal edition PSP is more frindly to the hand, issent it? I think the same about the Playstation Phone, NGP looks much more gamer frindly.

PC gamers are a different bunch to handheld gamers by and large. First and foremost, handhelds are seen by parents as toys for their kids, they're generally not as technically-minded as a PC gamer and thus have a kind of distrust towards something they can't physically hold when bought. And a lot of hardcore gamers see handhelds as "lite" versions of consoles and don't tend to bother. It's kind of an odd audience to pin down.

I'd take the PSP over the DS any day; far less shovelware for one, more powerful in terms of graphics and whathaveyou and more versatile regarding media features. I always found the touchscreen to be a gimmick that was never really taken advantage of.

All your PSOne downloads still work on your PS3. I don´t see it. Essentialy PSN is just not the best bussines model if even the big companys don´t just dumb their old games they can´t sell anywere elth on there. If steam issent enough look at Apple, iOS and the Appstore. People are earning shittons of money by having low prices, good developer cuts, discounting often, updating for free most of the time, updating the store each day. People just care, people have an eye on it, people just buy stuff because it´s on a discount today... with PSN you wait, get your update and most of the time there is nothing in there and what is is expensive.

I am not saying everything should be cheap or just thrown on there. Obviusly ff games are worth more and obviusly you want to bring em on one at a time to get the best sales... but a lot of stuff just issent...

I'd take the PSP over the DS any day; far less shovelware for one, more powerful in terms of graphics and whathaveyou and more versatile regarding media features. I always found the touchscreen to be a gimmick that was never really taken advantage of.

To me it always seemed that the PSP was just a weak PS3 with badly ported games and fiddly controls while the DS felt like a true handheld with it's own unique features and games.

Copled with the PSP's ridiculously long loading times and an even worse battery it always came off as a flop for me, coming from someone who owned both at one stage.

Oh don't get me wrong, the PSP wasn't without it's flaws - the control model for FPS games was goddawful, the placement of the analogue stick questionable and as you say some of the load times were dreadful (one of the reasons I used custom firmware, so I could boot them much qwuicker from a memory stick). I just felt it was more of a gamer's games machine, rather than the fuckton of shitty Pokemon and children's shovelware that consists of probably 90% of the DS library.

I used my PSP for Football Manager, Cycling Manager and Cricket Captain mostly. It was PERFECT for that. Add in Locoroco, Patapon and those kinds of short-burst games and it was even better.

On top of that the Metal Gear games - Acid and the Solid games were really, REALLY good on it.

Plenty to like whereas I sold my DS after a couple of months because it was too childish for me - I don't like Mario, don't care about virtual pets, never liked Pokemon....

The stuff I liked was Lost In Blue, Trauma Centre and I played Prof Layton on my wife's.

Both god of wars were awesome too, in fact ghost of sparta I thought was the best god of war I played other than god of war 3. Crush was wicked too, a game where you could make a 3d world flat and back to 3d again to get past obstacles and whatnot. Pirates was a decent translation, resistance had a great story and dead head fred was fun as hell.