The Old Sony Megathread

Mattman

Apparently the Beta for PS4 update 3.00 starts today. Anyone been invited?

Here's a list of what's to come;

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2015/09/01/ps4-system-software-3-00-features-detailed-beta-starts-today/

Some decent things there, especially when it comes to the streaming of games/watching friends streams. Live YouTube streaming is good too.

Nothing screams quality like a compressed stream, compressed again as a Youtube archive, downloaded and then reuploaded again to Youtube to be compressed yet once more. :shifty:

• Like 3

Agent Ward, you're too old for all these people in Until Dawn. You too, Rami Malek. AND YOU TOO, HAYDEN.

EDIT: Until Dawn question/spoilers

Soooo does Peter Stormare's character serve any purpose in the storyline, or is the stuff in the therapist's office meta-commentary?
Edited by Cloudy

• Admin

Despite not having finished AC: Unity or Far Cry 4 yet, I caved at the weekend and got MGS: Ground Zeroes & Phatom Pain, as well as Until Dawn.

Been so gripped by Until Dawn so far I haven't really looked at MGS. 

• Like 1

Been playing Until Dawn with friends and (story/decision spoilers!)

We completely, accidentally saved Matt. I've been watching some YouTube LPs of the game and reading comments and apparently a lot of people thought that you were supposed to save Emily instead of jumping to safety. I was lobbying for us to save her despite none of us liking her, but my friend that was playing the game decided he was going to jump to safety instead. Turns out, if you try to save Emily, Matt falls and is dragged off by a wendigo. If you don't have the flare gun - which Matt shoots into the Wendigo's face - he's hanged by his throat onto a metal hook in the mines. 

This is a really fun game to play as an experience with multiple people (and booze). It's neat to see how different people react to some of the decisions in the game.

Also, something I found interesting to note about one of the game's cowriters, Larry Fessenden (this also has spoilers for the main plot of the game):

A lot of things he's written or directed deal with themes like wendigos and nature turning on mankind. I didn't know this until I looked him up on Wikipedia; he has a movie called "Wendigo", he wrote an episode of NBC's Fear Itself about wendigos, and he has a couple of movies that deal with the theme of nature turning on mankind. So I guess if you knew anything about him going into Until Dawn, you probably could have correctly predicted the wendigos and the importance of "nature remaining in balance", i.e. not killing animals throughout the game. 

Edited by Cloudy

I've seen the start of a let's play and it looks really intriguing and the graphics are awesome.

That's the extent of my knowledge on the matter.

Well since I don't have a choice in the matter, that's good enough for me :P

• Like 2

I'd like to play Until Dawn at some point. Everything I've heard makes it sound almost exactly like the wacky pastiche of silly clichés I hoped it would be. I enjoy interactive storytelling when it's pulled off in an engaging manner, and Until Dawn appears to fulfill the right criteria without taking itself too seriously.

I will get it after it drops in price, despite the good things I've heard.

I think what clinched it on waiting, for me, was reading how someone here played it and managed to keep everyone alive during the game. Considering this plays out like an interactive movie, you'd think this "killer" wandering around wouldn't be completely shit.

So,,, Until Dawn is good right? I may have accidentally ordered it the other night whilst intoxicated. A fact I was only tipped off to when I got an email this morning telling me what time it'll be delivered. 

Depends. In terms of gameplay, how did you feel about Heavy Rain or Beyond Two Souls? It plays a lot like both of those games, and has been criticized for the same things those games got criticized for ("it's more of a movie than a game!" etc.)

Personally, I loved it. I thought it was a fantastic little horror game with some good scares.

So,,, Until Dawn is good right? I may have accidentally ordered it the other night whilst intoxicated. A fact I was only tipped off to when I got an email this morning telling me what time it'll be delivered. 

Depends. In terms of gameplay, how did you feel about Heavy Rain or Beyond Two Souls? It plays a lot like both of those games, and has been criticized for the same things those games got criticized for ("it's more of a movie than a game!" etc.)

Personally, I loved it. I thought it was a fantastic little horror game with some good scares.

I'm plenty good with that, Beyond was one of my favourite games on PS3.