The Old Nintendo Megathread

zero

They've said that they're announcing the first details about "NX" next year, so it'll still be a long way off, I'd imagine.

The mobile games stuff is exciting, though - even though it's a massive backtrack for Nintendo, what has come out about it sounds cool. It would have been very easy for them to port NES classics to mobile devices and wash their hands of it, but it sounds like they'll be developing whole new games for those systems, which is where Nintendo excel - the marrying of hardware to software.

From the sounds of things, reading between the lines of the generic hype-speak, the "NX" will be some kind of home console integrated with mobile devices, which could be very exciting stuff. The most interesting thing in home consoles is how they're going to compete with increasingly advanced mobile devices, so it's one to watch, definitely.

I think Nintendo's console days are over. Not in the go the way of Sega route people have been talking about for 15 years, but I think the idea of "here's this machine, plug it into your TV, put a disc in, play with the supplied controller" is over.

I think smartphone integration is an obvious step, but other than that, I have no clue what they'll actually do, but I'd be genuinely shocked if Nintendo put out another under powered traditional console with limited third party support.

People have been saying that for years. Nintendo is doing good financially. The 3DS is a success in spite of mobile gaming. The WiiU didn't take off, but neither did other consoles that Nintendo has released. Heck, their last console was the biggest seller of that generation and it was underpowered with limited third party support.

Nintendo will be fine. If console gaming is going to go the way of the dodo bird, my guess is that Nintendo will be the last console standing. I believe the mobile gaming/F2P bubble will burst in the next few years and a normalcy will return to the gaming world.

I always use myself as an example, because I am somewhat of a casual gamer. I've played the mobile/F2P stuff. But usually after a couple of weeks, I get bored, the pay walls irritate me and I gravitate back towards traditional gaming. I hear my nephew say the same things; he'd rather play a game that is fully open to you from the start for the extra price. I think this will be the trend in general - just a slow move away from the mobile games. There will obviously be people playing the casual mobile/F2P games, but I do think that anyone who is predisposed to being a gamer will likely always seek out a more meaningful gaming experience that simply cannot be delivered or delivered adequately enough in the free to play model.

If Nintendo ever do go 3rd party with their console games it'll be like a license to print money. That's my dream that will likely never happen but Mario Kart on PS4 and XBox One selling at 70 euro a pop would make hem all the money.

Edited by TCO

Nintendo going third party is not what I was saying. I'm saying I'd be surprised if their next console is a console at all. Something like a Nintendo Roku where you stream games on your TV, tablet or phone. Not sure if the technology is there yet, but just thinking out loud.

Admittedly, pure speculation. All I'm saying is I don't see Nintendo putting out another "plug it in, put disc in, press ABXY to play" console. They've been thinking outside that box since the Wii and my only point is I don't think they're gonna try to out-Xbox Microsoft.

• Like 1

Only just got a 3DS and as much as I'm loving Fire Emblem, I'm thinking about getting Animal Crossing: New Leaf as well because it sounds like it ticks all my boxes. But I've never played of the games before, just wondering if I'm missing anything by starting with New Leaf?

The very last Club Nintendo choices are up!

Platinum Status
Animal Crossing: New Leaf
Mario Golf: World Tour
Mario Kart 7
Mario Party: Island Tour
New Super Mario Bros. 2
Yoshi's New Island
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
NES Remix 2
Punch-Out!! (Wii U eShop download - Wii)
Pushmo World
Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Wii U eShop download - Wii)
Ultimate NES Remix

Platinum or Gold Status
Crashmo
Freakyforms: Your Creations, Alive!
Pushmo
Super Mario Bros. 3 (3DS Virtual Console)
Super Mario Bros. Deluxe
The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages
The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons
The Mysterious Murasame Castle
Advance Wars
The Legend of Zelda (Wii U Virtual Console)
Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga
Metroid Fusion
Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels (Wii U Virtual Console)
Super Mario Kart
WarioWare, Inc,: Mega Microgames! (Wii U Virtual Console)
Yoshi's Island: Super Mario Advance 3 (Wii U Virtual Console)

Just one and pick between the two I believe - that's the way it was last year.

Although since it's the last hurrah they should really give us both. Anything in the Gold tier is like.. 5 dollars max.

I'm looking at New Yoshi's Island, Mario Party: Island Tour and Ultimate NES Remix.