The Place Where Fallout Purists Whine

If you kill the traders, do they regenerate, and do they act any differently towards you?

If you kill one of them the rest of them will hate your guts. At least that's what the guy at Cantebury Commons told me when I first got there. I assume he's not full of shit.

If you kill the traders, do they regenerate, and do they act any differently towards you?

If you kill one of them the rest of them will hate your guts. At least that's what the guy at Cantebury Commons told me when I first got there. I assume he's not full of shit.

He is. I've killed all but one of the traders and he doesn't hate me.

He is. I've killed all but one of the traders and he doesn't hate me.

UGH. What the fuck is wrong with Bethesda? There's barely ever any consequences for your actions in their games...it pisses me off. PC RPGs have featured choices and consequences for the past twelve years but they STILL can't seem to get a handle on it. Christ, Fallout practically revolutionized the concept.

And to top it all off that fucker at Cantebury Commons lied to me...bastard. :angry:

It's illogical to me that the death of one trader would make any and or all unconnected traders hostile towardss you anyway, so in this I do not mind the lack of consequence.

It's illogical to me that the death of one trader would make any and or all unconnected traders hostile towardss you anyway, so in this I do not mind the lack of consequence.

Well they're connected in the fact that they're all in a 'guild' together as evidenced by the guy from Cantebury Commons. He said something about a trader's union or some such thing...they're all gathered together to control profits, protect each other, etc. I'd say if someone went around killing my business partners I wouldn't be too plucky having him/her show up near my brahmin with a gun on his/her back.

No point in getting into a big debate over it thought. It is what it is. At least I'm not killing someone in the middle of no where only to have every fucking guard on the map cry for my blood like they've got ESP. Fucking Oblivion.

Another thing that kind of struck me as odd is the guy guarding the door of Rivet City. Not major spoilers but I'll mark them anyways in case people don't want to know about the guy guarding Rivet City's door for some reason...

When you first get there he obviously doesn't trust you, and why should he? These people live in a big metal ship to keep themselves safe so they obviously aren't going to let just anyone in...especially some dirty hobo from the Wastes. All I had to say was "hey man give me a break...I'm trying to find my father," two times and he let me in no problem. What the fucking hell?

There's a kid from Grayditch I need to find a relative for in this city...wouldn't bringing him with change the guy's opinion? The hooker from the place by the river, who wants to get to Rivet City, could give him "incentives" to let me through. Yet all I do is pester him about finding my dad two times and he suddenly has a change of heart and let's this heavily armed Wastelander into the boat? It all just seems odd to me. It's little things like this situation that sometimes irritate me with Bethesda's games...there's very little to overcome outside of killing things. Social situations are too easily solved by just using the generic dialog. I didn't even need to make a Speech or Charisma roll to convince him. Not that it'd matter. I've made successful Speech rolls with a 32% chance of success...seems like that's just there for the hell of it.

FALLOUT 2 SPOILERS BELOW!

In Fallout 2 when you went to Vault City and met the Overseer there were two ways to go. Kiss her bitchy ass or piss her off and get banned for life (which took little effort). That was your choice to make and it was VERY easy to annoy her so you had to be careful about how you spoke to her. Once you got banned you were literally banned for life. Need to find a way into the Vault? Go fuck yourself because you can't even get through the front gate...find another way to finish you quest without the information from the vault.

That kind of thing is what makes RPGs great to me. It's not just about stats and levels...it's about your character making choices in situations and having to live with the consequences for those choices.

Aside from that little rant I'm enjoying the game. Just think it could have been so much more given it's heritage.

Edited by Drifter_2000

They're not in a trader's union. If you pursue the diolague he actually says it would be too hard for them to formalize anything.

I have no need to go to GNR Station. As Doctor Li told me where to go. However, I thought I'd adventure to GNR. Is there anypoint? I'm sitting outside an elementary school fighting Super Mutants as a type this.

Do I really need to continue on? Quicker the anwer the better.

They're not in a trader's union. If you pursue the diolague he actually says it would be too hard for them to formalize anything.

Now that you mention it I do recall him saying that. So you're right there. Still, it'd be nice to see traders react to you murdering people in their line of work and stealing their goods.

The general lack of consequences (especially unforeseen ones) is probably the biggest strike against this game for me. Make me make tough decisions! Make some swerves...don't always reward me for doing something good!

So finally started a game on this last night and I'm trying to be good, although that Overseer just had to get it. Blew his fucking head off with VATS. It was so sweet, easily in my top gaming moments of all time. Also saved that idiots mum, although she turned out to be a drunk.
FUCK FIREANTS. Bastards. Although I did save the sheriff of Megaton when I saw that guy draw his gun, which was ace.

I was told I'd get one after doing that task :(

Yeah, but that one area is one of only two places I've found it particularly useful. I thought it was weird giving you as a reward for completing the stealth task the thing you need to be stealthy, but I guess the only other answer is stop having such sucky sneak stasts >_>