General Television Thread

Hellfire

As I said on twitter the other day, they're doing a horrible job of selling the show outside of casting.

"We'll follow Bruce Wayne right up until he gets interesting" is pretty much the stupidest thing they could say. The show is already going to be fighting against "WHERE'S BATMAN THIS IS STUPID".

It's weird because it could really go either way, but no matter how it ends up, I think setting it pre-Batman is going to hurt it. I'm guessing DC wouldn't have been cool with Batman being around, especially with them outright saying Smallville couldn't even use the Bruce Wayne character, but I feel like they're going to get the exact same "WHERE'S THE HEROES" stuff as SHIELD. Though I suppose they'd get that even if they set it whilst Batman was around and he just showed up from time to time.

Should've just got the Arrow guys to make a Nightwing show.

I'd imagine we'll see them become the Whedon of their TV Universe if Flash hits all the right notes. Arrow was kind of a surprise hit, if Flash, a much harder character to do (I think so, anyway), can be made to work... well, really I'd just give them whatever the fuck DC property they want. >_>

Kind of related, but it's just occured to me: Marvel needs to do a Winter Soldier Netflix series post-Captain America. That'd be so perfect. Also the only film character I can really see doing a show.

I think it's just you. I've literally never even remotely made that comparison before.

It just came about because I watched one after another and noticed character similarities - Jake is Archer, the goofy, loveable, and slightly cocky lead who kind of has justification for his cockiness. The captain is Mallory, always trying to talk down the son figure with their sometimes unclear/sarcastic demeanour. Amy is Lana, the love interest/work rival. Charles is Cyril, the slightly incompetent but well intentioned coworker. Gina is Carol/Cheryl/Charlene, the sometimes aloof one who often gets things done because of their resources. Plus the comedy often seems to work off the same kind of relationships. Mind you, some of them are just general police archetypes with a twist anyway.

Steven Ogg showing up on Broad City as a creepy locksmith is great.

"This is what we call a whore door, because it's so easy."

I think it's just you. I've literally never even remotely made that comparison before.

It just came about because I watched one after another and noticed character similarities - Jake is Archer, the goofy, loveable, and slightly cocky lead who kind of has justification for his cockiness. The captain is Mallory, always trying to talk down the son figure with their sometimes unclear/sarcastic demeanour. Amy is Lana, the love interest/work rival. Charles is Cyril, the slightly incompetent but well intentioned coworker. Gina is Carol/Cheryl/Charlene, the sometimes aloof one who often gets things done because of their resources. Plus the comedy often seems to work off the same kind of relationships. Mind you, some of them are just general police archetypes with a twist anyway.

I think with about any show if you look hard enough you compare it to anything, especially if they have a similar setting.

I think with about any show if you look hard enough you compare it to anything, especially if they have a similar setting.

Indeed, it's just another post-The Office fly on the wall-ish thing a la Parks and Rec, which isn't a bad thing by any means if it's done well. Which it is.