General Television Thread

Hellfire

As someone who absolutely devoured The Wire/The Shield and shows along that nature, is True Detective for me?

Yes it is. It has the meticulous attention to detail of the former and the enjoyably fucked-up protagonists of the latter.

• Like 1

Not to mention quite a few Wire alum are on the show.

It's really a shame that more of The Wire cast hasn't caught on. Lawrence Gilliard Jr. was so amazing in such a little amount time, it sucks that it's been nearly a decade since the show began and The Walking Dead has been his first major role.

2 minutes into Late Night with Seth Myers and I want to turn it off because he's staring dead eyed into the camera during the monologue and it's awkward to watch.

Yes, hopefully he gets plenty of feedback telling him, that it's not Weekend Update anymore.

Watching it today with my wife she said, "He's doing it exactly like Weekend Update." A monologue needs that mindless chatter where the host is basically talking to the camera as if he's speaking right to you saying, "Did you hear about this,…" which Jay Leno was really good at. It's understandable because he's did update for almost a decade and this was literally his first time delivering a traditional monologue. He'll get better and he'll probably get a lot time to grow into the role since Lorne Michaels rules all of late night at NBC

Is True Detective really only eight episodes?

Recommendations have pushed it up my to-watch list, but if it's eight and done I could wait and binge-watch.

It is. With only two episodes left in the season it probably is worth waiting and just watching them all. Would definitely recommend it regardless, though.

Apparently Aaron Paul's in talks to be in Better Call Saul.

As a regular cast member? I have mixed feelings about that. On one hand, hell yeah Jesse's fucking awesome. On the other, I'd like the show to have a different identity and keep it to Mike and Huell(along with a few others) as far as returning cast members go. Hell, part of me wants it not to be a prequel and revolve around Saul managing that Cinnabon in Omaha.

Apparently Aaron Paul's in talks to be in Better Call Saul.

That is just an awful idea. I'll give Aaron Paul credit though, he's really not trying to fight the typecasting he's going to get the rest of his life, he's going to milk every possible penny out of Jesse Pinkman that he can.

• Like 1

I could see it working provided it's a background scene or something. Have Saul in his office talking to his secretary and Jesse and Badger walk by outside arguing about something, sort of a quick cameo. I don't think Gilligan's going to make him a central part of the show or anything.

"Anything Vince is involved with, I'm there," Paul said. "I owe him my entire career. And the idea of jumping into the skin of Jesse Pinkman again in his lighter days — because it's all a prequel — it would be fun."

http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/news/aaron-paul-in-serious-talks-to-star-in-breaking-bad-spinoff-20140228

Speaking of True Detective, rumor is that season 2 will feature two female detectives as the leads. Nic Pizzolatto tweeted as much, and then was pretty quick to delete it. Maybe waiting on an official, formal announcement from HBO?

Also, pretty sure that was a Townes Van Zandt song that closed out the episode. Awesome.

He said it in response to critcism of the show's female characters, so it wasn't really a reveal so much as a possibility. I actually doubt next season goes the 2 detective route, possibly opting for one lead since he's said every season will be a clean slate.

He also didn't explicitly say it would be two women. The question was in regards to better developed female characters and his response was "maybe next season." With regards to taking it down quickly, the theory is that since HBO hasn't OFFICIALLY renewed the show, he can't talk about it.

• Like 1